Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
energy shake

Hello well hockey season has started and i play goalie. I have decided that good nutrition is obviously important and want to start up something to insure I'll get what I need to have enough energy all the time for hockey. Also, I should be getting all the stuff my body needs anyways. I got this from this one goalie coach that is pretty well known and has videos of goal tending technique and stuff on the net. Well here it is....

Oatmeal
Skim Milk
Strawberries
Egg Whites (optional)
Tomato
Carrot
Pure Peanut Butter- 1 spoon full
Whey Protein- 25 grams
Multi Vitamin
Orange or Pear
Wheat Bran

All I want to know is just what should I take out or add. Anything to take out that will aggravate myotonia, or anything that will help relieve myotonia. I know i have to take out the strawberries, remembering Jan's diet, but this is just something I want to start.
thanks

Re: energy shake

Ethan,

For me I would have to take out the oatmeal and pear, and substitute almond butter for peanut butter and wheat germ for wheat bran. Actually you'll probably be okay with the strawberries - sour fruits and berries tend to not have as much of an effect on myotonia.

I used to make a protein shake or no-bake cookies for my girls when they were in sports and I would use a low-sugar cereal which could replace the oatmeal like Cheerios, Rice Crispies, Kix, or similar cereals. For some reason we tolerate the baked form of oats and rice but the cooked cereal form seems to increase stiffness.

Pastas and potatoes are good as high carb meals before games as long as you use some oil (I prefer sunflower) to keep down the insulin response.

Jan

Re: Re: energy shake

Hi Jan
I had no clue that all those food items in that energy shake could affect Myotonia. How did you find this all out please? I eat oatmeal and thought I was eating healthy with it. I am sick all the time. I dont know what to do anymore to feel better. Any help would be so appreciated.
Jody

Jody, basically I just experimented for years and kept track of what foods seemed to make me stiffer. It was difficult because sometimes the impact would be immediate (like bananas) and other times it would maybe be the next day before I got worse. But by keeping a journal over time I saw patterns and the common denominator seemed to be available potassium or foods that raised insulin levels (high on the glycemic index). Even then, how they were cooked and what they were combined with could change the effect.

The reason I suggested that Ethan switch wheat germ for wheat bran is that wheat bran has very little nutritional value. As a nutritional consultant I am not a big fan of peanuts either and would rather see healthier substitutes like almonds.

I think our reactions to foods will vary somewhat from person to person, but in general the diet I made up should help myotonia...sugar is probably the most important factor to watch. By the way, I ate some oatmeal yesterday and feel awful this morning :-)

Jan

thanks!

Re: Re: energy shake

Ethan, I wish for you a great season!!! Walt's football season is over. They lost in the first round of playoffs. They finished 8-3. He is a senior, so it was a pretty emotional game. He had the kind of year that he only dreamed of. The meds worked great for him. Good luck with your shake. I think it is great that you are taking good care of your body. Again, I hope you have a great season!!! Talisa Lightsey

thankyou