Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flu Shots...yes or no

My child does and is okay with it. However, we did not do it this year. He's been really stiff, skeleton walking...so we decided to take our chances this year with the flu vs. possible problems since things associated with MC are so unknown.

A denfinite YES for me. I'm on my 7th year!
The muscle pain associated with the flu hurts any normal being...The muscle pain with someone with MC is even WORST. I've had the real flu and let me tell you I'd rather be ssfe than sorry!. So YEP talk to your GP. I recommend hands down to get the flu shot.

Veronica

Rather be "sale" than sorry. Sorry you didn't get the flu shot you will be if the flu finds you!

:) take care

Well, I wasn't going to answer, but every discussion needs at least 2 sides! I have never gotten a flu shot, and would much prefer to catch the flu if necessary, than to get a vaccine which will most likely make me sick! When I was stabbed in the arm with an IV needle by an addict going cold turkey in the hospital many years ago, they required me to get a series of 3 Hepatitis B vaccines... the first one made me SO sick that I couldn't see, could barely walk, and had the most frightening combination of violent chills and drenching diaphoresis (clammy perspiration all over your body)- I was sick for a week, and I'll never have another vaccine again! Lois

Re: Re: Flu Shots...yes or no

i'm with lois...no!

Yes it's find to receive a flu shot as I advised by my doctor, I gotten mines & doing fine, I've also taken a series of blood estes which included CK, CPK which shown high levels which has me concern, the normal range is 200 and mines was 533 it had something to do with stress within the muscles. Any output.

P. S. Happy holiday's All

CPK levels

Hello! Howard
Re: your concern about having a CPK value of 533
Yes normal CPK levels (per my gp too are about 200)
I was in a few weeks ago and this time mine was at 475...about 2-1/2 times the `norm`. It is always higher. It used to concern me a lot too. This is without exercising and being physically active. I will be concerned if while remaining sedentary, my CPK levels increase to 3 times more than the normal! Moreover that would just tell me to calm down and respect my limitations. I understand your concerns, I would suggest to keep an eye on you CPK levels and before you go for your annual check up (blood tests) try to note your level of physical activity and/or stress. You and your doctor can talk about it...and come to accept that with MC cpk levels will always be more than 200. Hope this helped.
Best regards,
Veronica

Re: CPK levels

Oddly enough I have never had abnormal CPK levels, even after fairly strenuous exercise (even athletes can have elevated levels for several hours). I think my last test was about 140.

I have a mutation that should lend itself to higher levels and my cousin has had extremely elevated levels. I don't know if it has to do with diet/nutrition or some other factor like primary muscle type. I also have very little hypertrophy of my muscles...just a little in my calves.

Jan