Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: I dont think i have the right diagnosis

They told me that I had Thomsen's. No one else in my family has ever been tested. If anyone in my family would have it, it would be my father. If i'm correct then, my parents had a 50% chance with each of us children since it would then have to be autosomal Dominant. My doctor told me that the disease should not progress, but that every generation down the disease will become more severe. I have most of my problems in my legs. It's like after i run, i stop and rest..but then when i go to move or walk or anything my legs lock up and i cant move, it is the same though without physical activity. In school when i go to get up from my desk often times after i stand i have to pause before i can walk. It's the same with gripping anything.

Type of Myotonia: ltimblin1,2

Re: I dont think i have the right diagnosis

Your doctor is probably a bit confused. There is no indication at all that the symptoms are worse in successive generations. That tends to be true with myotonic MD, but not MC. Also many doctors, especially the older ones, don't differentiate between the recessive and dominant forms and call all MC Thomsen's.

To determine if you do have Thomsen's they can test both your parents and see if one shows up with myotonic discharges. That won't work with the recessive form. The myotonia doesn't show up in the parents since they have one normal gene to compensate.

Your symptoms certainly match MC. A DNA test will confirm for sure which type you have which is nice to know when you're planning a family later. If you have the Becker's MC (recessive)then your children would have almost no chance of inheriting it (unless you married someone who carried a recessive gene). The two labs doing testing in the US are Athena in New York and Fullerton Genetics in North Carolina.

If you're interested in trying a medication for your stiffness the most effective would probably be Mexitil. If you do a search on the forum you'll find lots of information including experiences of students like yourself who want to play sports through school.

Jan

Hi Lindsey - I am 57, and have Becker's type Myotonia Congenita. The physical symptoms you describe could have been written by me, because I also seize up either after no physical activity, or after strenuous activity. The stiffness and clumsy feelings I get after a physical workout are much more intense and prolonged, but the symptoms when moving "cold", or when startled or frightened are much more dangerous to me, because then I have no hope of catching myself. Have you read the stories a few of us posted on the main web site? You'll feel right at home! By the way, even though I have Becker's, I do have problems with swallowing, occasionally with my eyes and eyelids, and I have always gotten weird palpitations (no cardiac problems). I think Jan is right when she notes that there is so much that really isn't known about MC, and most doctors rely on information that hasn't been updated or re-assessed in years. That's one of the reasons we have the letter on the website, so people can print it out and bring it to their doctors, for a more accurate and modern viewpoint. Lois

Oops - and by the way, I forgot to mention that I was diagnosed as having Thomsen's by the neurologist - not based on anything at all except for the EMG and his understanding that it was the more common, and therefore most likely type. There was no doubt in his mind, and he did not recommend any further testing, because it was a given. I wanted to know because I wanted to be able to better explain it to my son and my family, and know if passing it on would be likely or unlikely. I asked another neurologist, and he agreed, so I had the DNA test. I am finding we really do need to be proactive self-advocates, because the knowledge base, and understanding of the differences and importance of them, is quite sparse. lois