Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Still Alive...

We are all praying for you Jan!! Get well!

Oh Jan - Critical condition!?! - I was SO hoping you were much more improved by now . . . I guess I'm just not sending strong enough vibes! Well, here come some way more intense GET WELL wishes now!!! lois

Jan,
I am sorry you are so sick. I will continue praying for you. We all hope to see you back soon. God Bless
Jody

Jan,

My prayers will not cease until you are well. God bless you. Judy

Re: Re: Still Alive...

keep your chin up and feel everyone's good wishes

Hi jan,i have not been on this site for ages but just found out about you hope you get well soon

Hi - I just wanted to let you know that Jan gave me permission to let you know that she is slowly improving. She is in a skilled nursing and rehab facility now, but is extremely fragile, weak and not out of danger. She has no strength or endurance, which is why she really can't write much, but she gets everyone's prayers, wishes and positive energy, and appreciates it very much. She said she was very near death when she got to the ER. This is the second time she has been so close to dying. But she is resting, getting therapy, starting to eat a bit (but wishes the food was better - a good sign, right?!), and her daughter arrived from Seattle to help care for her, because the staff at the nursing home is terrified of Jan's unusual and precarious condition, so they avoid her. Can you imagine? Anyway, I don't want to belabor this - but one thing I was thinking was that if she needs more transfusions, maybe some folks who are blood donors might want to donate a pint in Jan's name, so she gets credit for the blood she's gotten, and still needs to get. I will! What a great way to say thank you for all she's done for us! Lois

Lois

What a good idea! Thanks for the more detailed update and your suggestion as to another way we can be supportive of Jan.

Anne H.

Thanks for passing on info about Jan. I pray that God's comfort will be demonstrated by each one who help take care of her.

Good idea about the blood donations -- but -- is blood from people with MC accepted now?

Jan,

I'm sorry that you have been so ill. But I am glad to hear that you are making some progress. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Anne H.

FYI - If anyone decides to donate blood in Jan's name, it would be for Janet Stone, and the transfusions are given at Memorial Hospital (they have their own blood bank), in Colorado Springs, CO. Lois

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. I have not been to the site for a while and I was sorry to hear you have been so ill. Will be thinking about you.

Thank you for the info about where to credit the blood donations, Lois.

I've been a blood donor since I was about 16 or 17. The genetic defect that causes our myotonia is not similar to viruses or bacteria or other disease organisms, and it isn't like anemia or blood pressure problems which could potentially be hazardous to the donor. (I was unable to donate for quite a few years because I was very anemic, but once the problem was resolved, I was once again acceptable as a donor.) Likewise, it is not in the same type of category as being on certain medications which preclude donating blood... though you do have to let them know what medications you do take, because some drugs can be problematic, no matter what condition you take them for. When you donate blood, the good it does has to do with the plasma, platelets, etc. The actual genetic material doesn't affect you, because you already are a complete person, with a complete set of genes from each parent - that doesn't change. I hope that helps a little! Lois

Yes, thanks. That reaffirms my understanding.

I haven't been on this forum for months--funny how things happen, no? --Jan, I am certain we are all praying for you, for a complete recovery!

Marsha