Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teach Me

I need someone to teach me about the symptoms children experience with MC. (Since I know textbooks and articles can differ from what we experience)

The only symptom I had was at the age of 18. I could not let go of doorknobs easily and then it stopped after a few months. Muscles were not enlarged and did not get stiff getting up.

I have a 4 yrs. old granddaughter who is complaining of her neck hurting at times. She is small, very thin, and not anymore clumsy then any other child.
(My only child has not been tested because of insurance reasons - he has no symptoms)

I have,at times,a squeezing pain to the side of my neck, amongst the 100 other places!

Also, I wonder - why did MC become, "I'll call it active" suddenly at the age of 50-51?

Textbooks state that Motonic Dystrophy can affect the gallbladder. But, I had all the pain and symptoms of
inflammation of the gallbladder. All test came back negative, a HIDA scan, upper GI, CT of abdomen and pelvis. The surgeon let me know that he removed a perfectly good gallbladder. I believe MC was the reason. I didn't know I had MC, until 3 yrs later.

I have seen many unexplainable symptoms that people have had when they have an illness.

I would love to know the answer to "why all of a sudden weakness happened, and increased so fast?"

Any thoughts on the matter?

Re: Teach Me

Just read your message. It seems to me your granddaughter does not have MC. If your daughter doesn't have it, as it does not skip a generation. I first noticed my MC about the age of 3 Always falling down,hard to let go of a grip and also alittle off balance. My mother used to call is reumatism. They didn,t know what else to call it. She remembers her father complaining about such things. I suppose everyone has different systoms and per various stages of the disease. I was finally and properly diagnosed by a neologist in my late 20,s. Ps I just had my gallbladder removed 6 weeks ago. Don.t think it had anything to do with MC.

Judy, I don't have much textbook knowledge on the matter but I also had a sudden onset of symptoms after giving birth to my second child. I assume it's because of trauma to the body but don't know that for sure. Maybe it has something to do with autoimmune- since autoimmune plummets after giving birth. Again, just guessing. The only other symptoms I had when I was younger go back to being about 16 and having occasional hand cramping when lifting a glass- not being able to let go. Quite different from the plethora of problems I'm having now.

Hello - I have MC, Becker's type. I remember my symptoms for as long as I have memory. I always feared doing anything "fun", meaning physical, because running, roller-skating, dancing, or any other activity was very difficult to start, because I always tightened up immediately, and had a hard time regaining my balance or stability if I was doing something active. I always had trouble getting up from sitting or laying down, my hands, arms, neck, legs, toes - everything would "stick". I felt like a clumsy oaf. Once I was in school, it became even worse, because everyone would see me get stiff and stumble or stop in the middle of a step - and wonder what the heck I was doing. Stairs during change of class were humiliating - and I never had a clue why this was happening to me, because everyone told me I was faking, or lazy, or attention-seeking, or other dismissive things that made me ashamed, and I just learned to hide, make excuses, avoid anything that would let people see my "short-coming. So listen to your grand-daughter, and just let her know she's wonderful and perfect just as she is - and whatever her problem may be, it won't make her any less wonderful or perfect! Lois

This does not sound like MC in you or your grandchild.Did you say you had the genetic testing?
I would not call MC, especially when younger, a
weakness. It was just that I became very stiff when changing/ie moving muscles. This caused me to fall, or to appear to limp (well, still does make me limp and walk funny--I don't usually fall anymore....) When I was warmed up, andable to move, I was actually quite strong, not weak. Also, pain is not much of an issue, unless I strain something.
I have Beckers, by the way.

Re: Re: Teach Me

Hi
I have Beckers MC as well and my story is alot like hers. I stiffened up when doing anything new or like steps were always a scary thing but I had pain starting from the time I was VERY young and til this day, I have pain mostly in my legs but it does go all over at times. I have had over 10 EMG's and also the blood work ups and it says I have Beckers MC. I think what we have here is that each case of MC can be different than the other. They just dont know enough about it as of yet for anyone to say this doesnt sound like MC or whatever. If the tests show it then that is what it is. Some people seem to have pain and others not. I have read a ton from all over the internet and the Mayo Clinic in MN had confirmed this as well for me. I was concerned that if my pain was not coming from MC then what was it and I was told I need not look any further because the Dr's have seen numerous patients with quite a bit of pain from this disease. I guess we will have to wait until all the studying is in.
Thanks
Jody