Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MC Symptoms

It was interesting to read what you all wrote. We are in the cold Northeast and my son did not wear a winter coat once this year....he is too hot.

However, the cold does cause the myotonia to be more intense....just like being in a cold swimming pool. So, the cold bothers him and affects his muscles but he is too hot to wear a coat...go figure.

Re: Re: MC Symptoms

I hardly wore coats in the winter when I was in middle school and high school.

Even though I loved the cold as a kid (I was VERY active, and constantly "warming up"), when I am hot as heck and try to get in the pool, I feel like I am being stuck with hundreds of knives and pins when I get in - it takes me 5, 10, 15 minutes just to get in, even when the water is in the 80's... and if it isn't at least 83 or 84 degrees, I have a really hard time loosening up and swimming. I feel really tight, clumsy and like I'm fighting against something. Lois

I love being in the cold as long as I'm warm. The only thing that tends to get stiff is my face muscles if I'm not getting chilled.

I have never collected "normal" things - but my family thinks it's funny that I have a huge collection of coats, jackets, warm hats, socks, boots, etc. Anything that keeps you warm!

When I travel I do tend to have more problems just because of the stress. It can be good stress like being excited to see your family or bad stress like changes in diet, negative emotions, or lack of sleep. It can even be environmental - allergies increase adrenaline output and can make myotonia more pronounced.

Jan

Yeah, it may be a mix of some of those. Thanks!

I was just wondering if the muscles soreness in exptreme heat could be caused by excessive sweating. I know that I can't handle the humid weather, at all.
Maybe we are losing too much salt and potassium when we sweat, causing our muscles to become sore and still. Its very humid here this week and i feel as if someone beat me up.

Hi everyone,thanks Jan,Daniel has hay fever and when this is bad his mc is allways worse,but then again if we have anything else be it a virus or a migrain,the mc is allways worse,at times as i think i and someone else mentioned i will often know i have a virus way before i feel ill,because my muscles,especially the large leg muscles will feel it first. would this be the same with every muscle condition Jan,like md and myasthenia gravis?...by the way where is GA ?and is NH New Hampshire?

Yeah, NH is new hampshire. GA is Georgia. It's above Florida.