Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Maybe inheriting Myotonia Congenita will mean I will Live longer than I otherwise would

Jan,

I'm really sorry that I couldn't read your website for around 2 years.

And then when I could - I read you got West Nile Virus which nearly killed you.

Don't worry - you have survived it and will get stronger and stronger and make a full recovery.

My wife Julie really wants to go to Central Africa

We have travelled to Asia several times - India, Maldives, Thailand where mosquitos are always a threat to be taken very seriously (we don't use drugs - just loads of zeet)

But Central Africa (where we would love to visit - because we both Really Love VERY old traditional African music and culture) but The Death Rates from Mosquito Bites is absolutely appalling

In many Central African Countries Over 50% of Children don't actually live to the age of 5 Years. It's not war, poverty, starvation or AIDS that kills most of them

But Malaria

The anti-malarial drugs simply do not work reliably any more and Africans could never afford them anyway (they can afford DDT which works - but aren't allowed to - by US environmentalists - protecting the mosquito rather than the Child?)

Malaria was endemic in the Southern US States - until virtually conquered by DDT around 1947

We would both really like to go to Africa - but I'm convinced if we did - its incredibly likely we would get malaria

I guess I'm a bit of a coward really

My wife really wanted to spend her 50th Birthday floating over the Equator in a Hot Air Balloon over Central Africa

We could afford it - and I worked out the travel details of how to do it.

Neither of use were afraid of the balloon flight ( we have both done airsports)

But the Malaria death in rate in Africa really scared me

And I Really Love My Wife

And I think all human beings across the world are of equal value and should have the same chance to live and achieve their destiny

Re: Travel with MC

Charlie, how fun that you've been able to travel so much with your wife. How did you do with required vaccinations? I don't tolerate tetanus at all but have never gotten all the other vaccines for going to high-risk areas.

West Nile Virus is really understated by the CDC and the media. I know so many people who were infected when I was (5 years ago) who are still disabled by it. Those first two years were a nightmare I don't ever want to revisit.

Have you had cases in the UK? After it reached New York and started moving west it got more virulent and dangerous because of the different type of mosquito that was the carrier. I don't blame you for being concerned about malaria but at least the treatment (quinine) also helps MC :-)

My husband would love to be a world traveler...he was able to see England for the first time a few years ago and can't wait to go back. Both of us descend from John of Gaunt and Katherine Swynford so we have loads of interesting history through the Plantagenets. He really wants to see Wales on his next trip. It looks like the MC in my family is through a Scottish line.

You should put up a website or photo album of all your travels for me to link to so visitors to the forum can see the possibilities even when you have MC!

Jan

Re: Maybe inheriting Myotonia Congenita will mean I will Live longer than I otherwise would

OMG - Do you REALLY believe that we American environmentalists put a stop to DDT to protect mosquitoes? My head is reeling. Lois