Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Environmental Issues and the US

Lois wrote:

OMG - Do you REALLY believe that we American environmentalists put a stop to DDT to protect mosquitoes? My head is reeling. Lois
Email: lolonurse@cox.net

Lois, Hi...

Yes, I do believe that environmentalists put a stop to so many things to protect for nothing and things they know are not harmful. I won't even go into the Gas/oil issue other then saying, the Russians are drilling 30 miles off our US shores right now and China will be doing it in a few months. This political debate is the crazy chit chat of politicians. So why does the US not drill off the shores? Russia does and China will. What I do know is that Jan is right. Pesticides are harmful for those with Myotonia. And, I believe that pesticides are harmful for those without Myotonia issues, too. Anything smoked is harmful for those with Myotonia I believe.

I'll also tell you that the Advance Placement test results are back for High School Seniors who took environmental science advance placement classes and the exam for college credits. The results are that:

48% did not qualify...failed, meaning they got a 1 or 2 out of 5

18% qualified, meaning they got a 3 which colleges can not accept because it is not sufficient enough or they can if they decide to do that.

34% received a 4 or 5.

How sad is America on the environmental issue? Only 34% of our Advance Placement kids passed the test???

I find it funny when I go to the supermarket and see people buy pampers and have their GREEN environmental bags. I find it sad that we take and enjoy the taxes of those who smoke cigarettes and pollute kids, however, the taxes pay for kids, schools. Take the Northeast for example. People who smoke pay $6.00 plus for a pack. The taxes are $3.50 that goes to education. Think about the environmental issue of the smoke. It is terrible...but the government takes the money from the smokers to pay for schooling and other local taxes. Taxes, don't offer smoking reform, help or support, like if you did drugs or alcohol. There is no rehab for smokers but smokers seem to pay all the taxes. Smoking, drugs and drinking is not kid friendly but smoking pays for their education in the US. That is not environmentally friendly don't you think? You can go to rehab for drugs and alcohol but not smoking that pollutes everyone?

Sad Lois...and for being environmentally friendly and politically correct...you really need to do the research. We can not be ignorant on this issue. Pesticides are harmful for Myotonia, so is smoking, drinking.

But, to think this government cares is sad. Not a dem or repub gives one thought about us when they sleep at night. They don't care about anyone. They are spending more money to get elected then all of us on this board will ever make in a lifetime. Actually, there is not enough people on this board that would even come close to earnings vs. what Obama and McCain are spending just to be elected....and we are talking about the environment? None of them care...sad

Re: Environmental Issues and the US

Sad, yes, but you are off the issue. You are talking politics, not science. We, with MC, are among many millions of people who are sensitive to all sorts of environmental pollutants. Whether politicos care or not, this is a fact. The scientists/researchers are the ones who determine what the side effects and down sides of substances are. DDT was one of the worst chemicals we ever developed. It led to extinction of many creatures, nearly wiped out others, wrought all kinds of havoc on humans through the vegetation and animals we consumed, that had been treated with, or fed secondarily, DDT.

The Bald Eagle and California Condor, among other birds, were nearly exterminated by the devastating effects of DDT on their nervous systems, food supply, and the egg shells of the young which never were born.
Just because Thalidomide was useful in certain circumstances would not have justified its continued use, once its devastating sequellae were identified.

And just because there is a diamond in the ground, there is no mandate that requires it to be mined, if in so doing, the ground will be rendered unstable. This is not a forum for politics, discussion of the environment or global warming or poisoning, or debating the altruism versus greed of humankind. If you would like to pursue this discussion, let's do it via private e-mail! Lois

Hi Lois,
Politics and science seem to go hand-in-hand. Whether it be the politics of a company (pharm., insurance, medical devices, medical research) or government...everything boils down to politics in the science arena. What is best for them the company, government...not us. That was the point I was trying to make. People are like that, too. You see them preaching environmental friendly issues and then watch their actions and they are environmentally unfriendly.

I am in 100% agreement with you regarding chemicals and believe they are not tested enough before use. And, chemicals for those with MC are really bad. We have stopped using so many products and we still have a clean home. So much is not necessary and is in my opine harmful to our child with MC.

By the way, I do enjoy everything you write about. I find you very informative and interesting. Have a nice day Lois.

Thank you. You are very kind. lois