Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: hypertrophy

Shannon,

I do not have hypertropied muscles, at all! I am the one of 4 daughters diagnosed with MC, but I believe the others have it (related to mild symptoms I have noticed). They are not muscular. In fact, most of my cousins are on the small size. MC affects people in many different ways and yet, pain, stiffness, fatigue, and weaker is reported by most all.

Since it is each fiber of the muscle that can independently fire and stay in the on position, I think that odd deformation of a muscle is very normal for a myotonic. In my case, I am not very suceptible to hypertrophy but with injuries lately, it has become more significant in spots as you depeict. Also, I have noticed a definite bias on one side for the myotonic muscles.

To me the night cramps sound like you may be hypokalemic. When I get heat exhaustion, I get very depleted of the potassium ion and was confusing the periodic hypokalemic paralisis (which is a side effect of the MC) with the firing off of the myotonia itself. Large muscle cramping is the key difference and does not feel the same as the myotonic stiffening. At least not in my case. Also, the hypokalmic cramping will not faver one side over the other as much as MC will. You can tell a bit because the MC is tapping relieved. Try gently tapping the muscle as in shatsu massage, if it releives it then it is the MC, if not then it may be hypokalemia.

Stress is definitely a trigger as well as chemical stresses, I am not surprised.

The hamstrings seem to be the epicenter in my family for MC and these are BIG muscles and they put lot of force on your body. Tapping can help relieve that.

Here is the link for Dr. Levitt's potassium regime, I do not tolerate well the potasium chloride so I use a mix of potassium citrate and other electolytes with just a pinch of potassium chloride and sodium chloride. I had to do a bit of experimentation to see what worked well without triggering the myotonia. Make sure if you use postaium chloride that it is one without other potassium ions in it that could trigger the MC.
http://www.translational-medicine.com/content/6/1/18
You should consult your doctor before using this, as you may be potassium aggravated MC.

Hi Barb - Yes, I also can "isolate" many of my muscles, and flex and roll them individually - though not as well as when I was in shape and working them more. Like you and others, I have always found myself acutely aware of my muscles everywhere in my body, and have always constantly worked them - not always on purpose - just something I don't seem to be able NOT to do..... it's just a part of me. But I can't do the fancy stuff like Elvis lip curls, ear wiggling, the Spock eye brow... oh well. Lois