Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is worse than stairs

I read some posting from the past and I had to say BLEACHERS. I hate them. Trying to get past all the peoples things and not fall in front of everyone. I about have an anxiety attack :)

Re: What is worse than stairs

agreed. bleachers stink. I just hobbled up a set this week.

Sneezing while driving

You're right about the bleachers. Just one bump while you are struggling up and you are toast! I use what I call the death grip on all railings. Can't tell you how many times I was dangling down strairs with my white knuckles holding on for dear life. Also, the higher the stairs, the more difficult. Have you ever noticed this?

I feel the absolute worst is sneezing while driving. My eyes aren't bothered by the myotonia that much. But one sneeze keeps me from seeing the road longer than I would like.

This brings me to sudden turning of my neck while driving. The next thing I know, my next is stuck in a MC contraction either right or left. Very scarey!

Here is something else. Strange bathrooms while on vacation. If you get non handicapped, there are no grip bars. Which I am used to having at home. You get handicapped, and the bathtub is often much higher, and you nearly kill yourself getting in and out. Or worse yet some hot tubs are so high that you need your spouse and a few prayers to get in and out safely.

When I shop for furniture, I shop for the perfect height. (Too low and you will be miserable trying to get out of it. They must think I am nuts when I lounge on their furniture and then get up and move on to the next one. If you don't do this, you should try it. Something as simple as height makes all the difference!

dog running toward you, perhaps?

How about taking a stroll around the neighborhood and someone lets their big dog off leash. (Nevermind the leash laws!) You just can't explain the anxiety and fear you experience as the animal comes running toward you at full speed.

It's not just the fact that it's going to knock you over; there's also the concern that once you're down, you won't be able to defend yourself for at least a few seconds (what feels like an eternity) while the owner takes his/her time in retrieving the dog.

Anyone else been through this one?

In my mind I've prepared the strategy that I will simply sit down as soon as I see the animal running toward me, figuring that I can at least remove the falling part from the equation. But ****, all it takes is that initial sight of the charging monster to freeze every muscle...

-j

I've been in that position - many years ago, I had a smaller dog, and lived on a lane where a very enormous Newfoundland lived. They are usually lovely, placid dogs, but this one was extremely aggressive and threatening, and I was nearly paralyzed when he came at us. I had just enough time for my muscles to release me, and grabbed my dog in my arms, and started barking and snarling commands at that dog... scary!!! It took more than 20 minutes of acting tough before I was able to ease away. But even worse for me is the fact that we have always had large dogs but for Spanky, and I always train them well, so I can feel secure they will heed me, but every now and again, they will take off with me at the other end of the leash - and a few times, I've been a human kite!

Stairs with no handrails

A swaying rope bridge over a gorge.
Monkey bars.
crossing a creek by going from stone to stone.
and, of course... stairs with no banisters....
(i guess every one of us would have that on our list, right after or before stairs in general!) lois

Re: Re: What is worse than stairs

I had forgotten about swaying bridges! South of Colorado Springs there is a huge tourist attraction called The Royal Gorge. There's a bridge that spans the gorge and when I was down there my family decided to walk across it. You can also drive across and what I didn't realize was that the bridge was made of wooden planks and when a car goes across it sways and rattles and there you are a couple of thousand feet above the river suspended by some awfully thin looking cables!

Jan

When I'm sitting at my desk and someone needs me to get up for something. I hate that! I always have to make up some excuse why I cant get up at that moment! But yes I hate stairs and I hate hills!

Re: Re: What is worse than stairs

1.coughing fit while driving
2.just meeting somebody when myotonia flares up, crushing their hand
3.rigid muscles while swimming