Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drooping eyelid

Hi,

In early September, my right eyelid starting drooping for maybe 30 seconds and then quit. Then on September 17th, I got the shingles on the left side of my face. Ever since then, on most days, the left eyelid will droop, some times when I feel tired or not. Does this happen to any of you? I know one characteristic of myotonia is drooping eyelids but I don't have the appearance of drooping eyelids.

I have given up on my neurologist, He doesn't care to spectulate. He blames myotonia for anything he can't explain.

Re: Drooping eyelid

Judy,

It's not uncommon for the nerves to be affected just before and during a shingles outbreak. Have you seen an opthamologist? Ocular shingles can be very serious and I would bypass the neurologist on this one and make sure you get the right treatment to prevent complications even if the infection seems to be subsiding.

Ptosis is common in myotonic muscular dystrophy as the facial muscles weaken. However it is not common with MC. Another condition that can cause drooping eyelids is blepharospasm...in fact they won't stay open. I can see how myotonia might come into play there since the muscles tend to stay contracted anyway. The preferred treatment is Botox injections, but I think it usually involves both eyes, not one.

Jan

Re: Drooping eyelid

Hi - I agree with Jan. Your shingles episode is still recent enough that you might still have residual effects from it, but you should definitely see your ophthalmologist to be sure your eyes are OK. lois