Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Energy Drinks and MC

I'd be interested in reading any feedback from people with MC who drank or drink energy drinks:

Any side affects?

What does the medical field say about energy drinks and MC?

Any ingredient in them not a good idea?

I really appreciate any time you take in answering any of the above or all of the above questions.

Good day to everyone.

Re: Energy Drinks and MC

I would never recommend an energy drink for someone with MC since they all basically work to stimulate the adrenals and would make myotonia worse (and eventually exhaust the adrenals). That doesn't even take into account the sugar that's added which also makes myotonia worse.

Here's a good article:
The Dangers of Energy Drinks

This is a video from CBS News:
Video on Energy Drinks

Re: A Note About Acai Berries

While the topic is on stimulants, I wanted to mention Acai berries which have gotten a lot of press lately. Because of the high anthocyanadin content products containing acai berries are being represented as improving heart and lung function.

But products are also being advertised for weight loss because the acai fruit contains a stimulant called theobromine which is the same compound as is found in guarana, kola, and even chocolate.

It has a weaker effect than caffeine, but depending on the formulation and concentration could stimulate adrenaline and make myotonia worse. Just a caution -

Jan

Re: Re: A Note About Acai Berries

What about sports drinks like Gatorade?

It may be unrelated or non-causal, but I feel like I've had some good effects from drinking Gatorade if I'm feeling stiff, esp. after sports.

Though, drinking Gatorade regularly doesn't seem particularly healthy....

Anyone else?

Adam

Re: Gatorade

As a personal trainer and sports nutritionist my recommendations for electrolyte replacement and hydration for working out would be:

Undenatured whey powder (diluted with skim milk or water)

Knudsen Recharge (available at health food stores)

Gookinaid (not my favorite, but okay for some people)

The main problem with drinks like Gatorade and Gluconade is the high amount of sugar as well as the artificial flavors and colors. They're just not necessary and too much sugar syrup in any form can create blood sugar issues. If your insulin levels go up, the myotonia will get worse and some types of potassium added to the drinks will also increase myotonia.

If you can tolerate it, watermelon juice with a little salt is also an excellent electrolyte replacement. I think there is one company that bottles it.

Jan

Re: Re: Energy Drinks and MC

The first article points out some real dangers in using energy drinks. Indeed the reporter is a victim of one of the situations she describes. Her analysis of the caffeine content of an example 24 oz energy drink is way off. Taurine is an amino acid and contains absolutely no caffeine. The 2,500 mg of "Energy Blend" she cites as being equivalent to 2,500 mg of caffeine despite that the fact that it contains seven ingredients, only two of which contain caffeine, can't possibly contain that much. Guarana contains 3.6% to 5.8% caffeine, not 100%. The reporter's conclusion that the drink contains 3,500 mg of caffeine per serving is baseless since the label gives no clue as to how much caffeine it contains. All we can tell from the label is that it does contain caffeine. If the can really did contain 10,500 mg of caffeine and one person consumed it, a fatality might easily result.

The article at the following address gives more realistic examples of the amount of caffeine found in Energy Drinks.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/06/eveningnews/main1596047.shtml

I have no desire to drink any of them because caffeine increases my blood pressure. This is most likely because I am not a coffee drinker and thus have not developed a tolerance for caffeine.

Anne H.

Just my 2 cents - Hi mcboarder! - I think the term "energy drink" is terribly over-used, because it is used for super-caffeinated drinks, for hi-protein drinks, for "Jamba-juice" type drinks with acai or ginseng or other additives, and also for things like Gatorade, which are electrolyte replacement drinks. So really, it's a terrible label!!!

But, as Jan said, the commercial electrolyte replacements are basically artificially flavored/colored and chemically infused - none of which are good for us! Most commercial and pharmaceutical vitamins, minerals and electrolytes are formulated in laboratories, from petroleum by-products, corn, and chemicals! Go natural as much as possible. If you do want to buy bottled drinks for convenience, buy them from your health foods store - but first, read the labels!! And be aware of the amount of potassium in them. It's not that tough to make your own version. Maybe we can post some "recipes"! Lois

It's not a good idea to drink those kinds of drink, the sugar content and the energy it does provide will you to become over-exserted leaving you stuff and tried.

I forgot to thank those who responded. It was a big help. Smiles:):):)