Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hands and fingers

I was wondering whether anyone has the same problem as my son. His thumb seems to be on a semi permanent bent in a half closed position even when at rest. I myself don't seem to have this problem. It seems that the muscles below the thumb (sorry but I'm trying my best to describe) is kinda cramped and not relaxed.

For myself if I'm not exerting myself I'm usually fine but he seems to have a more severe time with his myotonia. My question is can my son get a worse condition than myself?

Poor kid he is only six and I understand the ribbing and tough times he goes through in kindergarten. I'm trying to give him a normal childhood and just steer him clear of the things he really can't cope with like his piano classes. Anyone with kids who have myotonia that can share experiences?

Re: Hands and fingers

Charles,

That bundle of muscle fibers just below the thumb (called the thenar eminence) are notorious for having a strong myotonic response. In fact there's even a reflex test for myotonia where the doctor will tap that muscle with the percussion hammer with the hand flat and palm up. In a normal person the thumb just bounces upward a bit, but in us the thumb will fold over against the palm.

In small children this muscle can be especially affected because the writing implements used in school are usually too awkward for their hands and cause continual cramping. There are some specially shaped pens you might want to try - I don't know about pencils.

The degree of stiffness can vary widely between individuals, even within the same family. It can change for better or worse, then change back. So many factors, including diet, environment and individual metabolism come into play. Schools often have an insecticide spraying program that you might not even be aware of which could affect him.

Jan

Hi Charles - Since I have Becker's, my son doesn't have myotonia, but I can tell you that my thumbs have always "wanted" to somewhat curl in. I developed my own exercise regimen as a child, I guess instinctively, since everyone said there was nothing wrong with me. So I have always done stretching exercises, my whole life. I do them when I am listening to a lecture, or TV, or waiting at a traffic light - so your son can do this, too - make it a sort of game, or perhaps when he realizes that it makes him feel better, he will just do it for its benefits. I do stretches of my whole body, and there is nothing formal about it - I just stretch in every which direction - my fingers (both independently, and using my other hand to gently straighten and stretch the fingers and thumb of the other hand, and massage them, too), my neck, back, arms, legs.

I took piano lessons for 8 years, because my parents felt it was very important to play an instrument - the problem was, I could never really get very good at it, and even though I am very musical, I appeared to be a failure! But I am very good at playing the stereo!! LOL.

There are many vendors of adaptive equipment for every aspect of life. If you Google, you will find adaptive pencils and also sleeves you can slip over pens and pencils, which are ergonomically comfortable, and also are large, fat and soft, so they minimize cramping. There are also eating utensils and a lot of other things as well. But truly, I think the exercises, and making sure his teachers all know that he cannot write for lengths of time without getting cramps - perhaps they would allow him to either tape lessons, or have a laptop to type his notes (kids are so advanced today!), or do his homework either on a computer, or some of it orally, etc. There are many ways to adapt, and it doesn't have to be only one solution. Let your son participate in the problem-solving, and he will probably do much better, because he will feel acknowledged.

Best regards - Lois

Hi Jan and Lois,
Thanks for your answers and suggestions. Appreciate it.

Re: Re: Hands and fingers

Hi, sorry to hear of his thumb issue. Strangely enough, when I was a child it bothered me too the same way and now, I just have the myotonic stiffness. Today, the sides of my hands cave in and lock up for as long as 10 minutes before relaxing. It's a strange sight. I grew out of my bent-stiff thumb before turning teen. Hope he does too!