Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: HEADACHES

Thanks Beth & Lois.

As I have quite severe myotonic symptons I tend to be quite sedate anyway, which probably is not so good considering I spend my working life in front of a computer.

My employer is also aware of the problems of using a computer for work and we are supposed to have regular breaks but I find that when the workload is heavy these things seem to get fotgotten about.

It's been over a week since the last headache although I have felt my neck stiffen up a couple of times I've managed to relax my way out of it. Some times it works, some times it doesn't.

Sorry to hear that you're not that lucky Beth.

Hi Pete,

I'm new here but am relieved to read that I'm not the only person with MC who gets these intense headaches.

Various doctors have come up with their own ideas, however only one mentioned tension headache but none have linked it with the MC.

I'm going to try the rice sock idea, but wondered if any of you ever feel like your sinus are blocked as part of the headache symptoms. I often feel completely drained of energy, with black eyes while the headache is there too.

Cheers,

Rob

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Hi Rob - I've had headaches intermittently pretty much all my life. I started with migraines at age 11. I started with sinus headaches when I was about 16 (I come from New York City, and when it was really humid, or of the air quality was really poor, my head felt like it was going to explode) - those sinus headaches usually came with inflamed/blocked sinuses, and a feeling that my head was filled with something dense and uncomfortable. Now I get pretty bad tension headaches, ever since my carpal tunnel and repetitive stress injuries extended up my arms and into my neck and shoulders.I'm sure part of this is the fact that my muscles just never really relax.

The best thing for me is deep breathing/meditative exercises, and 2 aspirin. Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

hi everyone, my migraines are definitely linked to my myotonia. when one side of my shoulders cramps up (from one of my many triggers)it can be very painful not only in that muscle but up my neck and down my shoulder blade. it also causes a migraine on that side. i'm prone to migraines and this is one of my migraine triggers. i try the same things that everyone has posted here first but if they don't work then i apply some Cyclobenzaprine cream (20%) directly to the muscle. it has been a Godsend although i use it sparingly so as not to build up a tolerance. since my shoulder muscles are the worst muscles for me as far as the cramping - they can cramp so strongly for so long that they pull my shoulders out of place - i also get Botox shots in those muscles every three months. i just keep trying to find things that can help control the myotonia monster since the doctors are not great sources of information in regard to prevention or therapies. everything that i do - different heat therapies, strict adherence to a stretching regimen, etc. - i have discovered on my own through trial and error. how wonderful to have just found this forum with others that actually know what this is all about. i'm slowly but surely trying to read through all the past posts and catch up!

Type of Myotonia: acetazolamide-responsive myotonia congenita

Hi Gail:

I get a painful cramping in my back over my shoulder blade which feels like myotonia + your garden variety cramp.

For years I thought the only way to get rid of it was to lay down and stare at the ceiling until it went away.

I'm starting to suspect it can be resolved with potassium (provided you have no reason to restrict your potassium). I happened to eat some coffee yogurt during the course of one of these while I was out on a walk and 20 minutes later it resolved while I was still walking, which had never happened before. The yogurt contained about 500mg of potassium.

To everyone else:

I wasn't going to say anything, but there is a ride at Disneyland called Indiana Jones, and I inevitably come off of it with a neck I can't relax for 5 minutes and a pounding headache as a result of that.

We had a particularly cold day a few weeks ago and a cold wind coming in off the ocean and the second I stepped outside and the air hit my neck, the muscles in the back of my neck instantly tightened and I started to get a headache after about 3 minutes of this.

Type of Myotonia: Becker