Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MC

As someone who was diagnosed at a very young age with MC, 18 months I believe, I find these stories of people getting into adulthood before their condition is recognised shocking!

I've always known that I was different to others, as a kid I had much greater freedom of movement than now but even then getting up out of a chair or climbing stairs was always an ordeal.

I think it's amazing that so many of you have managed to cope but I can also understand how not knowing that there was a definite cause of your problems could bring on other complications, such as panic attacks.

Re: MC

What an aweful experience for you!! I diagnosed my daughter with MC when she was 3 years old after 2 years of taking her to doctor after doctor. Jan was a life saver for me because I had no one else to turn to for information. K is now almost 12 years old and I have made sure that family, teachers and coaches understand her MC. She stuggled for a long time coping with the fact that she is different. But has adjusted really well. She stuggles in school but we have made sure she has an IEP (individualized education plan) of which she qualifies for because she is health impaired. I encourage you to make sure that your daughter doesn't suffer from the same misunderstandings as you did growing up.
K just signed up to play softball - something I never thought she would do because of her MC. The coach is very understanding of her situation. I know she will have a great experience and will be prepared to take the good with the bad. She loves sports and music and is adapting well to middle school. I pray she can accomplish all she wants with out fear that her MC will get in the way. I know she will do her best even with the MC.
I am a mother and feel it is my job to do all I can to help my kids adjust to life and all that comes their way. It is really sad that your mother dropped the ball for you.
Now is your chance to do all you can for your daughter.
Take Care!