Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gotta go

I had asked Jan about the gotta go issue way back when about my son and she reassured me that it was not a Myotonia issue...and I believe her expertise. My son up until last year had a gotta go issue in the bed at night. Not fun cleaning bedding every day but that is finally a closure in our life. I don't know if it was Myotonia related or something else. I know they have pills for it be we did not put our child on it and preferred to deal with it. Thankfully, it is over.

Winks

Dear mcboarder:
I had nighttime incontinence as a child, and it went away by itself also. I'm not sure if the bladder is not quite as developed as it should be, but I thought doctors were more aware of the causes now than they were when I was young.
Mary

One of the main causes of nighttime incontinence in children is a deficiency of the hormone vasopressin. There's a nose spray that can be used to help this.

In adults it is more rare, but still occurs - it's called diabetes insipidus. It can include frequent daytime and nighttime urination and is diagnosed by a combination of testing the specific gravity of the urine and sodium levels in the blood. It's not uncommon for this to occur after a head injury like whiplash from a car accident.

Jan

Our Joshua is coming up to six in September. He is still in nappies at night. We take him to the toilet at about 11.30 at night and we have seen a change, often the nappy is dry. His older brother was also 'late' but stopped when he was the age Joshua is now.
In Sweden the advice is not to do anything 'medical' about it before the age of 5, And we are avoiding any hormone tablets/spray if we can.

How old was your son when he stopped wetting the bed?

/stefan

May I ask if you withhold fluids after a certain time of the night? Lois

Not particularly. They do not seem to drink much in the evening.
/stefan

Thank you! I will definitely address the Provigil aspect with the Urologist I am scheduled to see. It can get frustrating at times, I ask a doctor questions, and they have no clue, so they tell me to see the doctors at the MDA. I am at the point where I do not really trust what doctors tell me, and generally check with my neuroligist to see if my family doctor is correct. As you have said, he thought the bladder is not affected by Myotonia, but that it should be checked out (I have been complaining for years w/o results to other doctors)!