Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Acutane and MC

Thanks for the kind response and info. My MC son won't be taking it. Good day to all.

My son's doctor (neurologist)said that no way, no how would he ever allow or agree for our son to take Acutane. He said it is bad for any person but especially bad for Myotonia related patients. Pretty much it is keep the pimples and the girls will come flocking with them or when you are without them.

Hello,
I have no experience of Acutane but have heard similar thoughts and info on side effects that have been stated in earlier posts. I have however had severe acne in my thirties which was treated by TCM, Traditional Chinese Medcine. I boiled herbs and drank quite strong (sometimes disgusting) 'herbwater'. It was complicated and took much more time than a white pill (I was suggested to go on a 6 months antibiotic treatment...!) but it left me with very few scars. I think adult acne is different to youth acne but this is the thing with TCM - it treats underlying problems not symptoms. Thats why you can't just get a teabag with herbs for all problems - the medicin can differ between individuals for the same ailment, and has to be changed quite often. One because the underlying causes changes and two, your body gets used to the medicin and needs to change accordingly. Again quite different to western medicin. My TCM doctor was an English white male, one year older than me and this was when I was living in London, UK. Important is also that he considered the treatment complementary rather than alternative.

Unfortunately I haven't found a TCM practitioner here in Stockholm, Sweden. Although I don't need the same treatment anymore!, It would be good to have such a GP I think.

There are many alternative treatments and therapies out there and I would advise to go on experience from someone you know before consulting a therapist.

/stefan

I thought I would recommend Pro Active. My doctor said that I should use Acutane and after seeing the side effects I wanted to try other things first Yes it is that stuff from the tv commercials but it completely cleared up my skin. Myself and many of my friends of used that and had great results with out the terrible side effects.