Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MC and Military Service

Thanks for your responses. Appreciated the input and feedback. My son really was interested in going into the Air Force but he wanted to be more of an intelligence person as he is a computer wizard and wanted to be more of a desk person, behind the scenes. He knew going to combat was not what he would be able to do for his country. He knows the implications that having MC could of jeapordized his fellow brothers in the service if he was in combat. However, he is disqualified from serving our country because he would not be able to pass their fitness component. So, our country is without a great computer mind and I'm happy he is off to college next year instead after graduating high school.

He can certainly still work in the intelligence sector. Many intelligence positions are through contractors or are civilian positions.

He can give military life a try though if the university he will be attending has an ROTC program. There is a commitment deadline that allows people to opt out if they decide it isn't for them. The downside is it will take away from time he might just rather use for studying/programming.

Re: MC and Military Service...

I live in Sweden, a country with mandatory army duty (at the time when I was in that age).

I wasn't allowed to do military service even though I wanted. I had been exercising harder than normally before the tests and been getting myself a "recommendation" document from my MC doctor, where it said I could manage to serve in the army.

At the test day, my first station was going to the army doctor....and there I got a ticket home. That was sour. But when I think about it now it was probably the best for me. At that time I was playing soccer, Ice hockey and floorball so I felt I could manage anything I guess.

I have been in the Royal Australian Navy for 33 years and was only diagnosed with MC four years ago. There are times where it has been difficult, especially walking up and down ladders onboard ships; however you get use to it and learn how to over come the obstacles that MC brings. I believe there are many jobs in the military that are not suited to someone with MC because of the fast reaction requirements but there are many that someone with MC would have no difficulty doing. There is very little knowledge about MC in Australia so if ever I see a doctor most of them say that they remember something about it in Med school but it was just a fleeting moment and the majority have no idea. So I am not sure about the rules in the US but it has no impact on joining the military in Australia.

Hi Malcolm

I can't say my experience exactly matches with yours. I was in the Australian army reserve for 9 years. I joined up before being diagnosed. I struggled to be "normal". It was because of the obvious difference and difficulty that I had that I ended up being diagnosed and they kept me on knowing what I had, but I had to switch from being an armoured vehicle driver.

My different experience came when I attempted to join the real Airforce. When I told them my condition they basically said no way, I couldn't handle the basic training. My being in the army reserve and having the support of the regular army staff there made no difference. I suppose that makes sense because even with my experience, I really don't think I could have got through kapooka.

I'm also sure that I read Thomsen was a cavalry officer at some point.

good to hear that you've ahd a long career.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen or Becker - bit confused