Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The use of Cymbalta

Hey all, haven't been around in a little while but, I just wanted to share something with you. My neurologist and my family physician both recommended Cymbalta to me because of it's effects on people with Fibro Myalgia. I thought,what can it hurt, maybe I can benefit a little in the attitude adjustment area as well! I must say, things went well for exactly two months. My entire body was much more pain-less with even less episodes of stiffness then it happened. I decided one day to do some carpet cleaning in my home....that all went fine but, the next day, I was all locked up so bad that, I almost went to the hospital. That night, the muscles in my legs were so tight and locked with severe pain, I thought I was going to lose my mind. Nothing would help the stiffness or the pain. I called my doctor and he said to ween myself of the Cymbalta. I said how? He said, cut the dose each 4 days for two weeks by just a little then, each 3 days for two weeks until you finish. This did not help my present situation which went on for weeks and weeks because you can't just jump off Cymbalta.Folks, this is a nasty, nasty drug to get off of. My mind went through some funky things while on it and it took 4 months afterwards for some of those quirky things to finally stop. This all took place this past Spring and my left leg calf muscle is damaged from night and day assaults due to Cybalta. It really effected the left side of my body.
Anyone else with this reaction?

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

Re: The use of Cymbalta

Wow - I am so sorry you went through that - a lot of the mood enhancing or altering medications are very addictive, and do quite a number on a body. Sorry to hear that you have suffered from it. I hope you have written to the pharmaceutical company to let them know your experiences with it, so they can add it to their list of complaints and side effects. Hopefully the residuals will wear off with time, and you'll feel normal again (whatever that is, eh?!)

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

One interesting side note but first, thanks Lois! When I was told to get off of the Cymbalta, I ran to a Vitamin Shoppe nearby and bought a chemical detox cleanse all natural and started it. Now, the muscle damage has been done but, for whatever reason, my myotonia has been minimal episodes with only few intense ones instead of the other way around. Go figure!

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

Sorry to here about that. I went through the exact same thing with Cymbalta. I think this was one of the worse drugs I have ever had to stopped taking..

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens MC