Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Newly Diagnosed

I do some mild exercises for physiotherapy, a few sit-ups, push ups, some stretching exercises. This regime has kind of developed from my own experience of my problems and some genuine guidance from physiotherapists. It works well for me but I'd agree with Jenna about getting a medical review before undertaking any kind of exercise.

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Re: Newly Diagnosed

Hi Jodi -
I can't remember a time in my life when I did not have the muscle issues of myotonia - my earliest memories are from 3 years old. However, my family and doctors always said I was faking, lazy, melodramatic, and dismissed my complaints and inquiries, so eventually, I just gave up.

At age 54, I had EMG's for carpal tunnel syndrome, and the neurologist got all excited, and asked to test me further, and diagnosed my Myotonia Congenita. It was an AMAZING day for me!

I'll tell you that by this time, I had learned what my body could and would tolerate, and although I used to really love very strenuous and intense physical exercise, as I have gotten older, I have realized that it really isn't good for me to do any longer. I know that at some point, it could be my undoing, and I don't want to break a hip just because I'm stubborn.

So now, (and part of this is because I also have permanent physical handicaps from injuries) I take it much easier, and do gentle stretching and other mild stuff. I still tend to catch myself doing things I shouldn't - but at least now, I stop instead of pushing on.

If you injured your back lifting a patient, did you report it as a work-related injury? You really should, because then you can have some physical therapy, and they will give you a home exercise program of stretches and gentle exercises which are quite helpful. But I did find that I had to be careful - my enthusiasm for those exercises was also a bit overboard, and I tended to increase the reactivity of my muscles if I wasn't careful. Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type