Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does anyone else experience this?

Yeah Jodi -
I agree with Jan. I've had palpitations for most of my life, but they have been really minor, fluttery and fleeting. I had really prolonged symptoms such as you described, about a year ago. It was shortly after 2 deaths in the family, and some other serious stressors, and I was pretty sure it was some sort of panic/anxiety thing. I finally went to the ER because it got so bad. Fortunately it wasn't cardiac, and I had a good check-up with my PCP and a cardiologist. But you do sound as if there is something going on - if you are having a lot of stress, the palpitations and SOB could be from that, and the GI also - it could be IBS, which is often stress-induced. The dehydration could be from mouth breathing and rapid respiration.

If possible, try to do slow deep breathing exercises, in through the nose, blow out through the mouth, very slowly - try counting to 6 or 7 in, and 6 or 7 out. Close your eyes, sit quietly, maybe get a CD of water or nature sounds. Also, when you breathe in, try to concentrate on your heart, and relaxing and "telling" it to beat more slowly. It may sound kooky, but imaging and going inside yourself and willing yourself to slow down and relax does work. It may take some time, but it is helpful. There are classes for this also.

Meanwhile, see your doctor to be sure you don't have some sort of infection or other issue going on at the same time as everything else! And be sure to keep hydrated. Take care of yourself! Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type