Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Aout my young son

I have problems with the dentists too, but mine is more to do with muscle enlargement along the jaw as Jan suggests.

Basically I cannot open my mouth wide enough and when I do the muscles quickly start to ache. I've even had one incident where my muscle began to contract involuntarily and I nearly bit the dentist!

I did have a dentist who knew about MC and he was great. My current dentist knew that something was wrong and listened to my explanation with interest, he now lets me close my mouth during an examination when I feel the need, as long as I indicate it to him beforehand, and won't restart the until I'm ready.

It makes a world of difference having medical attention from someone who is sympathetic to your condition!

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Hi Pete:

My jaws muscles can get very stiff and begin to contract when I get cold. I've actually developed lockjaw from my muscles forcing the joint out of place before.

You might want to try keeping yourself more on the warm side at the dentist, and ask him to use bite blocks and an anaesthetic without epinephrine, and see if that helps.

It might just be a percussion myotonia type thing though. I know a lot of people here have a lot of luck with stretching but personally I have a very difficult time doing so without my muscles contracting in response to the tension.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Thanks everyone for your replys.

Ryan hasn't complained about his jaw or gums, not even when he has been to the dentist. I know he doesn't eat a lot of things if he has got to chew a lot, he prefers soft foods. Not sure if this gets worse as he gets older.

Karen

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens