Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can I just rant a bit?

I'm just so frustrated, and stressed. I have been trying to get my Work Comp case resolved and settled for almost 4 years, and get approved for Social Security for as long. Between disinterested attorneys and a system that really dislikes regular people, my "progress" is thwarted every which way.

Between my knee, hands/wrists/arms, myotonia, now fibromyalgia, arthritis - it just seems kind of like a no-brainer. If I could actually jump through the hoops they are placing for me, I wouldn't NEED the help, now, would I?

Whew... well, thanks for listening. Now I'll go punch a wall. (ouch - no, make that a pillow!) Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

Re: Can I just rant a bit?

Lois:

The thing with social security is you just have to be very persistent and proactive in helping your paper work through the system. It's a big giant bureaucractic maze. The people at the county offices can be a valuable resource if you have good communication with them. By that I mean, be civil to a T even when you're talking to the 20th person about the same thing you talked to the 1st one about, after waiting on hold all day.

I empathize with your frustration. I used to worry a lot about jobs when I was younger (and now actually) because most people could just go out and start waiting tables or get some job as a sales clerk, but my poor dexterity and reduced upper body stamina on incredibly mundane tasks closed most of those doors for me. And I'd get very frustrated because I knew how silly it sounded that I couldn't last all day doing something as easy as folding shirts at Target or the GAP, yet I could do plenty of other things which would sound to be more taxing. Of course they really weren't because they used entirely different muscle groups.

Anyway I hope things work out for you!

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Hi Lois,
I haven't even tried to collect disability because the few things I have other than MC are too minor to count in the system. I do empathize with you, however, because I was so stressed while trying to resolve a car accident in which I was injured two years earlier by a young negligent driver, that I probably settled for much less than I should have. Stress definitely works against us in these situations. Don't give up, Lois.
Jenna, I understand what you mean about upper body strength. My upper back becomes so weak at times that it aches. I have seen a connection, however, between eating sugar and how my upper body feels. Perhaps insulin production and our body's inability to handle it properly causes additional weakness. I also feel it more when I'm on the computer too much!!
Mary

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Lois,
I am so sorry to hear the troubles you are having trying to obtain Social Security.
You know as they always say--The people that really need it either get denied or get the long run around and then there are those who dont need it all who seem to just fly through the system.

Last year I was finally awarded S.S benefits...It took 3 years and 2 denials before I was finally approved.
My story is this....I was receiving disability thru my insurance plan (Short-term & long-term) with my employer, the company that held my disability provided the services of a Management Co. that soley worked helping people obtain S.S benefits....so for me it was a stress free and hassle free transaction, they took care of everything from start to finish. the name of the company is:
The Shaw Group
Shaw management corporation
521 West Main Street* suite 200
p.o. box 8468
Belleville, IL 62220-1540
1(618) 235-9822 fax 1(618)235-8022
www.shawgroup.com

I dont know if this will help you at all, but I just thought I would pass along what info. I had, since I had a hassle-free experience obtaining S.S. benefits, and with all that you have mentioned that is going on with you...it sounds to me that you are a perfect candidate for Social Security Disability......Good Luck

Beth

Type of Myotonia: thomsens

Oh Beth, How funny that you should post this... and ... suffice it to say that I am VERY glad to be rid of that same group! In my case(s), they really messed up!

Lois,
I think that I have posted to some of your threads before but I haven't been on the forum in many months.

I have been on SS since 1991 when I was 21. I did not use an attorney or any professional help but wrote many many letters. My mom and I had a campaign of letter writing to the social security office. When I was denied I started writing to the congressmen and senators of the area asking them just to look into the matter, their office simply wrote a letter to SS saying they were interested in the case, nothing else... a few months later I was approved. I may not have been typical here either...I rarely am.
Suzi

Type of Myotonia: unknown

Suzi - I remember you saying something like that before, and at the time, my attorneys "had it all under control" - NOT! I have a new attorney, but I think the time is right to follow your lead. I am a veteran letter writer, and I think I'll bombard them all!
Thanks for the reminder and the nudge!! Lois