Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Singing

I've always loved to sing, and while I never had a great voice, it was passable, and both my pitch and my rhythm were spot on.

In the past few years, my voice has significantly deteriorated - it is weaker, thinner, and my voice and throat get very tired and achy very easily, whereas I used to be able to sing for hours.

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

I have learned Indian style music and have no problem in singing. Even last week I sang in public. I could take high notes without much problem. But when I don't have enough energy, ie, if I had food very earlier, I tend to have difficulty in using tongue properly and pronounce some words. And also as usual with the disease, I have to warm muscles if I have to suddenly climb some steps to stage or move away from stage. So I guess practice will make it better.

Type of Myotonia: unknown

I'm a budding opera singer and have noticed the myotonia in the muscles of my neck most often when I'm nervous. I had a voice teacher once who said she could hear the sound "catch" at times, but other than the neck tension, I haven't noticed any significant effect.

I have a few tracks of my voice on myspace, http://www.myspace.com/tylerwaynesmith

PS I'm a countertenor so don't be surprised to hear treble singing.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Tyler- Bravo, bravissimo!!!
Vinod - how about some YouTube of your singing, too?!? (please). Lois

Thank you! Metropolitan Opera here I come!

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Tyler,

I finally got a chance to watch your videos - wow! My father-in-law is now retired but was a tenor with the San Francisco and Houston opera companies in his day along with teaching at a university. He also served as a judge for Met auditions, so my husband and I have been immersed in music all our lives.

I'm really excited for your future and hope you get some great opportunities. Do you know who Scot Cameron is? I get to hear him every summer when he comes to Colorado Springs for a conference and we have some of his recordings.

Thanks for sharing -

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's MC

Tyler...
I have a very dear old friend who, along with his wife, are among the judges for new talent at the Met. So when you get ready to try out, let me know, and I'll put in a good word.

Also, when you get to Lincoln Center, think of me - I'm a native New Yorker, and I REALLY get homesick. And my dad was the engineer who designed the 'environment', of which I am so proud.