Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: need to vent

I definitely understand- I have tried to figure it out for decades. The best I can figure (for me) is that I am really very shy and self-conscious, which makes me VERY self-aware whenever I feel that anyone may be looking at me - which makes me nervous, which brings on the adrenaline, which makes my muscles get both weak and stiff, which makes me really nervous and fearful, which makes me feel really insecure, which makes me feel more physically unstable. Of course, all this happens in a matter of seconds, and it took me trying to replay it in slow motion many times, to realize that the "stage fright" and sense of almost going to faint or lose orientation is probably a mild type of panic due to the fear of falling. And yes, an arm to hold feels so much better - I have just seldom been in the position to have that available to me.

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

Re: need to vent

Exactly. I have come to the conclusion that I can cross the street somewhat okay, if I cross when there's no one around. Even if they're at a red light and it's my light, I start to panic and the adrenaline kicks in. It seems that even when I'm walking down the street, and I come across people walking the other way, I even start to get more nervous that I'm going to do something like fall. I am still getting over a bad stomach virus and had been out of work initially for a week, and then another 2 days about a week later. When I get some type of GI virus, I find, my balance is non-existent, which is really frightening when you work in the city and quite often have to cross large streets.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's