Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: falling down

It sure is a laugh riot! But for me, when I learned about the diagnosis (I was 54 years old when I was accidentally diagnosed - before that, I was also thought to be a bit off balance or not real coordinated sometimes), I decided that I would tell everyone about it, so they could at least stop thinking those things, and realize that it was an actual physical condition. In a way, knowing that, if something should happen, at least they could help me, and perhaps notify authorities that I had some sort of rare disorder. I now wear a Medic Alert bracelet - the main reason for that is the reaction to anesthesia, which could be major. Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

Tino:

I've only experienced the "timber" effect once after tripping on the cat back when I was at my worst.

The last few times I've tripped I actually think the myotonia has stopped me from falling by preventing me from over correcting, though it is very mild right now compared to how bad it used to be.

People who've been around me for a while tend to notice something is wrong though.

I think you're just going to have to heed our motto. "Forward cautiously!" :-)

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Tell em all about MC. If they're your friends it won't bother them at all.

Type of Myotonia: Thompsen