Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pollexal Hypertrophy

I've never experienced that!

How's it going?

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Can you define it, or provide another term for it, as I can't find this condition listed anywhere, and am not familiar with it. Thanks - Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

Hi!

Sorry for not being clear. The Pollex is the thumbregion (skeletal/muscular) and my hypertrophy acts practically the same way as with my thighs. It swells up during exercise and grows gradually. Last time i wrote my thumbmuscle (below the thumb) on my left hand looked like I had a smallsize metaball stuck under my skin and hurt like ¤&/. I had several hours of studiosessions at the time so at the moment it's slightly better since I'm not playing as intensely as before.

Erik

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Erik,

That group of muscles includes the pollicus brevis, but the thenar muscle in particular is the one that tends to hypertrophy. In fact the myotonia is so much more pronounced there that it has always been used for diagnosis of percussion myotonia.

Neurologists will tap that muscle (the puffy one just below the last joint of the thumb running across the palm). In someone with myotonia the thumb crosses over the palm in response and stays there several seconds before relaxing.

I don't know of any way to minimize that hypertrophy, especially if you use your hands a lot like you would playing guitar or gripping constantly.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's MC

Jan

Yeah, my doctor examined me as you described.
Though I never experienced this kind, only on my thighs and lower arms (popeye-style).
My Thumbmuscles are gradually going back to normal since I've been having a 10 day break so far because of this and the tension is now bareable. Just having minor problems gripping stuff at times.

I suppose I'll be more prepared and hopefully managing the next studiosession which won't be until late summer.

Erik

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens