Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why???

Lol!

Tell them it's a parasol and not an umbrella, parasols were all the rage not so long ago!

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Parasols have never been popular in the US... maybe we are supposed to be too rough and tough to need respite from the sun as they do in Europe and Japan...
But since living in San Diego, I noticed that certain women almost always carry umbrellas, and use them in the sun. They are the smart ones, since the sun can be quite brutal.

Anyway, it truly is no-one's business why you carry an umbrella, and I think you should think of a snappy retort (It's for self defense, or you're preparing for sudden climate change - whatever), and then revel in your new-found reputation as an eccentric. It's either that or mortify the heck out of the person by telling them "I have a neuromuscular disorder that causes me to fall down with no warning, and I need something to lean on."... It would take some nerve to do, but it would sure shut them up. Oh, why do humans have to be so nosy, judgmental and conformist?

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

I even tried to brush it off by saying that I got caught in the rain before, so now I'm conditioned to bring one with me all the time. I just don't understand why people cannot just mind their own beeswax and worry about themselves. It's easier for me just to carry a full size umbrella with me than to whip out a cane, especially when it comes to work. I don't discuss my condition with work, it's no one's business as it really doesn't interfere with my job. Lois, you're right, if I really want to shut someone up, I'll tell them that my myotonia congenita causes me to lose my balance quite often. I would guess at that point, the person would just quietly walk away as they wouldn't know what to say then! LOL

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Have you seen the YouTube videos where they open the umbrellas suddenly to try to scare the myotonic goats?

I guess you could tell them about the myotonic goats and how just startling someone with MC is enough to make them fall over sometimes, and that going over curbs or uneven ground can be dangerous. You can say you carry the umbrella both for balance and to help educate people about a rare disorder :-)

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's MC

Or we could get pins/buttons made for all of us - great big colorful pins that say "Startle me at your own risk", or "Warning: I TOPPLE", or "Honk If You Want a Good Laugh". Or... "I'll Tell You - Do You REALLY Want To Know?"

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

Jan:

I've seen those videos. I find them painful to watch, and amusing at the same time. Painful because I know how uncomfortable contractions that strong feel, and amused because I still find it curious how something with four legs can fall over like that :-)

I like how the older goats brace instead of fall. It's a tactic I know well!

Type of Myotonia: Becker