Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My child ..Is she fine ...

Hi Rocky -
First of all - CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby girl! How exciting and wonderful. May she grow up to be a happy, healthy girl.

I have Becker's type, the recessive type of MC. I can remember symptoms from my earliest memories of about 3 years old, but they didn't become really significant until I was about 5 or 6. However, since my parents did not feel it was anything but clumsiness, it was ignored, and I have to say that, because nobody believed me or tried to figure out my problem, I just had to adjust, and be as normal as possible. So I figured out ways to compensate, and have basically lived a normal life.

I feel that if parents are over-protective of their kids with MC, it might keep the kids from trying things they can do, even if not as well as others. I think MC makes us try a bit harder - and have a little more sense of humor about our bodies.

Don't worry about your daughter - if it turns out that she does have it (which sounds unlikely), and in a few years you find she has symptoms, then you can help her adjust and understand. Meanwhile, treat her totally normally, and plan for a great future!
Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type