Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MC & Sports

Maybe Its time for you to try a medication if you havent already.I Myself take 2-mg of predisone and 150 mg of mexilatine once in the morening, I wish I known of the 2 meds earlier in my younger years when i was more athletic ,I Myself deal with great weaknes potassium can cause me to be bed ridden .ask your Dr whats right for you"

Type of Myotonia: M/C

I take quinine sulphate for my myotonia treatment. I play field hockey Saturday and work out 2-3 times a week in gym. Whilst I make sure I am warmed up before playing I don't put too much emphasis on stretching as this is more important after exercise. I take my team through a 'dynamic' stretching routine before the match which involves stretching on the move, keeping the movements fluid and not holding in any one position for more than a couple of seconds. Post-match I stretch all major muscle groups for around 15 mins (can't spend too long or all the cakes/sandwiches will be gone). I am totally exhausted and sore until Wednesday before my body recovers and then I do it all again! Love it so much and can't bear to give up.
Gym work I can do steady paced running/crosstrainer/bike, lights weights but if I try interval training I suffer hideously for days after. Gave up playing squash as I would get to the third game and my legs would start to seize-up so I kept losing.

Type of Myotonia: unknown

I'm also new here. I would suggest that you can do sports that involve constant movement ok. Anything like Baseball, cricket (in my case), atheltics, gymnastics that require standing around and then sudden reactions are just not going to be viable.

The bst part of my life, where I was least affected, was when I was constantly exercising, by bike riding to college every day, playing soccer and touch football about once a week, a bit of swimming and weight training, and I was in the army reserve (clearly my MC made me about the worst soldier ever, but they kept me on).

During this time I was also stretching my leg muscles everyday, not before exercise but as a daily routine. Exerecise stretching was extra. I got to this situation by visiting a podiatrist, who recommended mainly stretching to overcome the inbalance in size of my various leg muscle and to modify my gait.

Basically thigh stretch. Hamstring stretch with one leg on a chair but foot lower than the leg being parallel to the ground and othe other foot positioned at 90 degrees, 45 degrees and parallel to the direction of the raised leg. So that is 3 stretches on each leg and then the calf stretch - heal hanging off the edge of a step, knee bent and then apply pressure downwards. Obviously do this while holding onto something. Each stretch to be held for about 15 to 20 seconds. Over time this really worked for me to achieve a base level of being able to move better than normal. Then if playing sport, it is only really a case of warming up and etc.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen or Becker - bit confused