Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Driving car

Hi Vinod -
I'm nearly 60 years old, and have been driving since I was 18. Since I had no clue what my "problem" was, I just assumed that I had to deal with it, and figured out that when I am getting in the car, I need to almost constantly move a little bit. So I flex my muscles, do some head turns and neck/shoulder rolls and stretches, and I drive sanely. Yes, once in a while I am aware of stiffness, and sneezing is a pain in the rump, but by just not being a wiseguy, and driving in the slower lanes and always signaling my turns and lane changes well ahead of time, I can be methodical and have never had an accident. I always enjoyed driving, and used to fantasize about being a race car driver - very unrealistic, but fun to dream! Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

Thank you Jenna and Lois for comments. Since I have a car now, I am attempting it anyway. I still don't know how difficult/easier it would be. I will warm up before starting it and take your suggestions also into account.
Will post my experience after I start driving.
Vinod.

Type of Myotonia: unknown

Vinod,

I had more trouble driving a car with a clutch than an automatic, but still did fine most of the time. The only real problem I had was when something unexpected happened, like a tire blowing or someone almost hitting me. The sudden burst of adrenaline would make me so stiff I could hardly peel my fingers off the steering wheel!

If you do have some type of incident like that it's best to pull over and flex your muscles a bit before going on. Of course if your tire blows out you don't have any choice :-)

I've learned biofeedback techniques to minimize my response to things that would startle me and cause the immediate stiffness. Living in an area with so much snow it's essential to be able to maneuver in situations that are hazardous. I also avoid any stimulants like caffeine that would exaggerate that adrenaline response.

Hope you have fun driving!

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's MC

Thank you Jan for the suggestions.
I also do some yoga and meditation that keeps me always calm under most of the situations.
Have an automatic car and learning now.

Type of Myotonia: unknown