Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Something to Try For Muscle Cramps - Three More Ideas

sure....... do something that hurts worse, plus makes you sneeze, and who cares about the cramps? LOL!!!
Seriously - Ivory soap under the sheets? Sounds a bit odd - but mine are day cramps anyway, so I don't have to worry - Ivory doesn't agree with me.

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

Ivory soap makes me sick, too. But one post I read said that any soap will work. I'm really curious what chemical or substance it could be in the soap that would help.

There's even an article about it on Snopes.com:

Soap Dope

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's MC

My wife, who doesn't have MC, get bad muscle cramps in her feet. She takes extra potasium and magnesium suplements for the cramping (since that's what she seems to be deficient in and that's what many cramps are caused by) and it works.

I know that potasium makes stiffening and fatigue worse for people with MC but maybe it would help with the cramping.

Type of Myotonia: The Neurologist never said

Jan - My PCP mentioned recently that he had heard that guaifenesin is said to be helpful for muscle spasms and cramping and similar symptoms. I was wondering if you have heard of this. Thanks - Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type