Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: =)

If you have insurance, you will want to take advantage of the genetic counseling you can have ordered by your gynecologist, in anticipation of family planning. This is a normal and customary process, and if it is Becker's, there is almost no chance you will pass it on to your children. But you do want to know what you have, and have the reassurance of knowing what to expect.

I didn't learn my diagnosis until I was 54, and even though my husband is supportive, and says he "gets" it, I know that he doesn't quite. But, for me, just finally having proof that I am not lying, faking, lazy or any of the other nonsense I heard all my life - what a relief. I also learned, from a VERY young age, to mask or explain away my issues, and after a while, it just became second nature - I guess, in a way, my MC forced me to actually become the faker and liar my family thought I was - but for the opposite reason!! LOL - lois

(oh - by the way - since I didn't know I had MC when I was pregnant, I just muddled through. I was very happy to be having a baby, so I ignored all the rest!)

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type