Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Acupunture

Hi -
I am so NOT any kind of expert on this, but I will tell you my personal feeling, and maybe it is completely unique to me.

I had repetitive stress injuries (carpal tunnel and de Quervain's syndromes) in both hands/wrists, and severe strain in both arms. As part of my treatment, I had ultrasound treatments, a TENS unit, lots of massage and many other modalities. My hands got worse and worse, even after surgeries. In my case, I believe that the "interference" the therapists inflicted on my muscles made them hyper-sensitive.

Now, I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and one of the treatments is trigger point injections. Needles are inserted into the muscles, and a tiny amount of anesthesia or sterile water or homeopathic formula is injected (or, it can be dry), to try to quiet the points which aggravate the symptoms. I have had 3 of those sets of treatments, and if acupuncture (in which I firmly believe) is anything like it, I would stay far away from it, because these sticks have all left me in misery for 1-2 weeks, and then, when the intensity subsided, I was left feeling as I had felt before the treatment. So, for me, the upshot was the treatment was worse than the condition.

Now, I grant you that the situations are NOT the same. All I am saying is that, for me, it seems that my muscles are very sensitive to manipulation, and the best treatment is non-invasive, and very mild, like slow stretching and warm-up type exercises, warm soaks (hot tub, spa, bath), deep breathing/relaxation exercises and such.

I'll be very interested to hear your reactions and observations. Lois

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita, Becker's type

Re: Acupunture

Many years ago I had acupuncture treatments and it reduced my symptoms. I do not go regularly since my insurance doesn't cover it. I visit the acupuncturist occasionally and it does not seem to be doing much. It did cure some of the other items I went in for.

I would recommend giving it a try. It will take a number of sessions since everyone responds differently. With acupuncture, you learn to control your stress and learn how your body reacts. If you find an acupuncturist that is also a naturapath then you will gain good advice on diets and foods to avoid.

Good luck.

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita