Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Diagnosed with MC without anyone else in my family having it.

It's recessive if no-one else has it but you got it. This means that your parents each carry 1 gene - you need a pair to have the condition, and you hit the jackpot. When 2 recessives mate, the chances of offspring having both recessive genes is only 25%, so normally that would be 1 out of 4 children. It is most likely that if you have MC, it is Becker's type.

(Oh - and by the way, by law, you are entitled to copies of all your own medical records and test results, so request a copy of the DNA test results from your doctor, and keep them in your personal files.) lois

Type of Myotonia: MC- Becker's type

Re: Diagnosed with MC without anyone else in my family having it.

No one on either side of my family has ever been diagnosed with it or even known to have a muscular abnormality.
Which means I can't figure out scientifically why I was the one to get it. It's very frustrating.

It took awhile, and many medical test that really terrified me as a child, but I was finally diagnosed probably 9 or 10 years ago. I'm an 18 year old college student now and it's incredibly difficult to live with because people around my age are so active and never understand why I can't be. Reading these posts on MC has made me realize that, even now, difficulties I assumed were normal for everyone are actually symptoms.

And up until a few months ago when a close friend who is a pharmacist asked me what I had, I didn't even specifically know. I'm glad to have found this site where I can at least realize that I'm really not the only one

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's