Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Macrobid antibiotic

Hi Jan,
I was diagnosed with a UTI and began taking Macrobid antibiotic. After 2 days I began having very bloody stools and didn't associate it right away with the Macrobid. I had followed the directions and took it only with food or milk. When I called on Friday, the nurse told me that the doctor said she never heard of anyone having bloody stools with Macrobid. I looked it up on the web, and sure enough....it's a side effect!! I stopped taking the Macrobid because I was losing so much blood. I will have to see the doc on Monday. Since I'm allergic to Batrim and sulphur drugs and shouldn't take cipro because of the MC, I'm thinking that doxycyline is the only thing I can take now for a UTI. Having only taken the Macrobid for 5 days, I'm hoping the UTI hasn't gotten stronger. Do you have any thoughts about this?
Thanks, Jan!
Mary

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Re: Macrobid antibiotic

We have allergies to almost all antibiotics in my family - I haven't taken any in over 30 years and have been able to stop any UTIs with D-Mannose, a sugar that keeps bacteria from adhering to the bladder (cranberries contain mannose which is why they help). It does not affect insulin or blood sugar levels since so little is metaboized.

The only other antibiotic that has been used that I know of for UTIs in my family is Zithromax. It's not the drug of first choice, but it can work. For antibiotics and surgery we usually use Vancomycin in an IV.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's