Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How did you describe your myotonia?

Hi...
When I was a kid, I told my parents, family, doctors that I got "stuck"- but it never did any good. They didn't believe me. So I really never bothered to tell them about the discomfort, burning sensations, the weakness and rubberiness in high temp and humidity, or the other things I felt - as it clearly made no difference.

As I got older, if I tried to describe it, I would say that my hand stuck if I shook hands, and my legs seized when I tried to go up steps... didn't take it any further, because no-one was interested, nor would they have cared that it hurt to yawn, swallow or sneeze, or that my eyelids also stuck sometimes.

Now that I will be 60 in 2 weeks, I can complain with impunity - all anyone can say is that I'm a crabby, whiny old lady!

Type of Myotonia: MC- Becker's type

The other day my fellow workers went on a retreat at my bosses house in 103 degree weather. I had sense enough to stay home under an airconditioner. They all road innertubes behind her boat on the lake most of the day. The next morning they all came in sore and stove up. They have never understood or cared what it is like for me nearly every day of my life just to do the every day things. When they started telling me how they felt and how sore and painful their muscles were I took my opportunity to tell them "now you have an idea how I feel every day." I haven't gotton as much flack from them lately. I think it might have registered.
Teresa
(Oh yes, they think or may I say thought I was grumpy too.)Ha!!!!

Type of Myotonia: un-known

Hi.
Actually I found it on the Internet. Then I found this forum and then I got a contact from Jan to a Polish professor who does something in myotonia's field. Since then I take mexicord (Polish equivalent of mexitil) when I go for training or football and I am fine :).
I am glad that I found this place :)

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen

Michal - Welcome! We are glad you found us! Lois

Type of Myotonia: MC- Becker's type