Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EMG - In My Back!

gee that sounds like fun! sorry I've been "away", but our computers have been behaving badly, and we've been avoiding them for a while. Working on solving all the little glitches.
Anyway - glad you have had the problem identified, even if by draconian means - though not glad for what you have to go through in your life! I'm having an MRI of my lower back this week... so I'll be thinking of you, as the jack hammers pound away in my ears...

Type of Myotonia: MC- Becker's type

Let me know if you feel anything during the MRI or if you are stiffer afterward. My doctors are still a bit concerned about my trying to get another one after my bad electric shock a few years ago. The other concern is that I have gotten seizures from auditory evoked potential tests so the noise may be a problem. I used ear plugs before and don't remember it bothering me too much.

The machine I'd be using is an open MRI and I don't think the static will build up the same way. They did tell me that some people have peripheral nerve stimulation from the changing field during the scan that can feel strange.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Jan:

I had an MRI years ago when my myotonia was pretty bad and I did not feel anything. However only my head was in the machine and I believe the mechanism for myotonia with my mutations is primarily due to issues with the new channels being transported to the cell surface and only slightly due to a gating issue.

Your mutation may cause your chloride ion channels to have a significantly shifted open gate probability potential, or they may be more permeable to ions other than chloride.

Jenna

Type of Myotonia: Becker