Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interesting

Hi - I just saw a new (to me) neurologist this morning, having been referred for ongoing, truly excruciating pain and exquisite tenderness in my feet and especially my toes.

He did EMG's and other testing, for about an hour! - (OW-EEK!!)and said I do have peripheral neuropathy, (I had believed it was all due to my really deteriorating foot structure), and ordered a boatload of tests - including heavy metals, B12, etc. He also ordered a Sjogren's screening. I had never heard of this disease before - and the description of dry eyes (VERY!!) and dry mouth (yes!), fatigue (??fibromyalgia?) and joint pain (??arthritis?) is definitely spot on...

And, like 3 other doctors, who I'd ignored, who had recommended neurontin for MC, for pain, and for the fibromyalgia, he said "you need to try something to relieve your symptoms"... and wrote me a prescription. So I will comply, and try it.

Type of Myotonia: MC- Becker's type

Re: Interesting

Good luck with that. I hope it helps. Right now mine is not un-bearable so I will just live with it for now. I guess the problem I have is that the doctor was not concerned about it and I'm wondering if it can cause damage that can't be reversed down the road without being treated. I thought he would have at least tried to find out what the cause is. That's why I get so frustrated. Maybe he thinks he is saving me money.
I have been tested for everything you can think of dealing with autoimune diseases. I was diagnosed with lupus many years ago. It's hard to tell which disease is causing which set of ssymptoms at times. The only good thing about autimune diseases is that most test are done through bloodwork. Not so much pain involved. Anyway, good luck with that too.
Teresa

Type of Myotonia: un-known