Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Driving

Hi Josh -
Folks with MC will want to avoid caffeine as much as possible, as it causes or exacerbates muscle stiffness for us. The capsaisin in red peppers somehow helps to relax the chloride channels in our muscles, so seems to help prevent or minimize episodes of stiffness.

I know there have been threads about this before, but I think a number of folks have posted about how they are sort of "drawn" to hot and spicy foods - and it seems that the body kind of tells you what it needs.

Not sure I'd personally want to chew on red pepper flakes by themselves, but I hate having little bits of dry things stuck in my teeth! But we do cook a LOT with hot sauces, peppers, cayenne, cumin, chilis, curry, etc... I have always been partial to them, and maybe it was because they help.

So, before you arrive at your destination, get a taco and extra packets of their hottest salsa! Lois

Type of Myotonia: MC- Becker's type

first of all, thank you mary. It's nice to be appreatiated. WHat i wanted to say is i tried the hot peppers this weekend. We went to cedar point (an amusement park) and our hotel had an indoor waterpark. I was feeling quite stiff the day we went there because of all the walking around the day before in the amusement park. They had a snack shop with a bottle of crushed red peppers, I remembered this post and tried a few pinches of them. I seemed to get up the stairs for the waterslides MUCH better afterward, thanks for the tips. I LOVE this forum, you guys are great

Type of Myotonia: myotonia congenita (not sure which type, but it sucks :)

Hey Josh,

I've been on the receiving end of trucks and let’s say I don't envy you. I'm amazed by how you guys maneuver a trailer backing up into loading docks! My problem has always been trying to get my hands and upper body warmed up for truck deliveries. Unloading delivery trucks full of refrigerators, washers, and dryers at Best Buy is probably not the best job for someone with MC, but that’s what I did to pay the bills for a year or so during college.

I’ll have to try the hot pepper flakes. I’ve never noticed a difference in mobility after eating spicy foods before, but then I’ve never noticed any foods affecting my muscle stiffness for better or worse.

Type of Myotonia: Waiting on the DNA test to come back