Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
myotonic kittens

came across this on another site, thought I would share.

myotonic kittens

Type of Myotonia: thompsens

Re: myotonic kittens

Well those cats will be indoors only! Somehow they seem more unfortunate than the goats, but then goats aren't psychos with an innate desire to climb curtains when they're younger.

You know it's funny. I have a cat who isn't the most coordinated thing in the world. He generally has the grace of a half blind dog and would get stuck up on the roof until someone rescued him while my other three cats would casually jump back and forth from the roof to the fence to show him how it was done. When he was younger, occasionally he'd start off walking and he'd have this strange stiff gate for a few steps and the thought did cross my mind that maybe he had myotonia, but he hasn't displayed that for years now and I've concluded he's just a klutz.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Thanks for sharing...it's pretty sad, especially since one already died. Their nervous systems are much more immature than a goat kid when they're born, so they probably startle easier and can't adapt.

I've never heard of a person having respiratory failure from MC but my diaphragm has gotten so stiff at times it felt like I couldn't breathe.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

I contacted the person who owns the kittens and posted the video of them after being alerted about it through a UK Muscular Dystrophy forum.

Ed didn't know that people also suffered from MC and was shocked to hear it. The Royal Veterinary College refer to animal cases of MC as 'Fainting Goat Syndrome', I e-mailed the Principal of the college asking him to direct his staff not to use that term as MC was first diagnosed in humans and the rules of scientific precedence should be regarded but he's not responded as yet. I've decided to write a formal letter instead.

Sadly both the kittens are now dead. Ed, their owner, e-mailed me with the news recently.

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

My two male brother cats were diagnosed with MC around 6 months. They are now almost a year. I also emailed the person who posted that youtube video. I am working with my vet to see if there are any possible drugs that would be safe and effective for my cats. Please let me know if you have any information.

Thanks.