Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Under the Knife Again!

I don't think that you are overdoing this topic Jan, it deserves to be discussed extensively. I was interested in your comments regarding the difference between an epidural and a spinal anaesthesia. When I had the frame fitted in June he definitely suggested an epidural to me and that brought back the bad memory, perhaps a more skilful doctor could apply one successfully but I remember all too clearly sitting on the side of the trolley and gripping a nurses forearm; I thought that it was to stop me from falling not to help me deal with the pain about to be inflicted!

I presume that in America patients have a right to discuss their treatment just like we do here in Britain? It certainly helps to do so as it made me feel more like an active participant in the decision making process than just a lump of meat on the operating table and I would encourage every MC sufferer to get involved in their own medical care when talking to the 'experts'.

It should be remembered, however, that everyone faces a risk when going under a general anaesthetic, no such procedure is 100% safe, but the risk is very small even for us MC patients as long as our susceptability to other problems is taken into account.

On the Spina Bifida, the protocal here is to operate on the spine as soon as it is diagnosed and surgeons can now do this on unborn babies. For some reason this was not done in my case even though the protocol existed when I was born, hence the failed spinal surgery when I was much older.

My leg and foot are in a plaster cast at the moment to allow the pin site wounds to heal and keep the bones supported. I'm going to be measured for a leg splint and I may have to wear it for the rest of my life but at least I should be able to walk and stand without the pain I used to suffer.

Next year we're doing the right leg!!!

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Yep, I too cant sing the praises of this site loud enough... also great 'community' spirit

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

I was given a spinal for Fibula/ankle surgery about 11 years ago, and no complications. I remember wondering if myotonia would be a problem. A framed leg you must of really had a bad accident, best of luck with recovery.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Pete,

How are you doing with your post-surgery recovery? I hope the unusual cold there isn't making your myotonia a lot worse!

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Morning...well it is here!

Post op-recovery has gone very well thanks. I'm still stuck with the cast while I wait for a leg splint and boot to be made for me. I'm off crutches and down to a walking stick now, which is how I started!

The cold doesn't really seem to bother my MC, I know it does for other sufferers but for some reason it's never been a great concern for me. The worst part is ice and frozen snow for obvious reasons.

I hope everyone got through that awful weather in North America okay?

Type of Myotonia: Becker's