Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flying Experience

For my 50th birthday my sister-in-law decided to buy me a flying lesson!

I've always been fascinated by aeroplanes and I have to admit that I've never really considered jet passenger planes as being the true spirit of flight, even though that is all I've ever experienced.

My instructor Roy took me up in a little 2 seater Cessna 150. He did all the hard bits, like talking to air traffic control and getting us to the right runway, actually they only have one but it can be used from either end, then he told me to let out the throttle and pull back on the stick and off we went!

Me actually flying the thing!!

We headed north and climbed to 1500 feet. Passed the beautiful Humber Bridge, then inbetween my house (hi cats!) and the KC Stadium before making a line towards Bridlington and the East Coast.

Roy sat there with his arms folded for the most part, just making conversation, whilst I grinned like an idiot; didn't this man kow that I'd only ever flown a kite before?! The truth is that even this small aeroplane can practically fly itself as long as you don't do anything stupid. Not that I minded, I was soaring like an eagle!

Eventually we turned south and headed back down the coast, changing our heading towards Hull so as to avoid a RAF bombing range. Once more over the north side of the city then skip over the River Humber and back to the airport.

Roy took charge of the landing, which was probably very sensible of him as he had another lucky person to take up later in the day, and all too soon we were back on the ground.

I earned my wings and I got a certificate to prove it.

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Re: Flying Experience

That's awesome Pete. I have always wanted to do that too. Happy Birthday. Sounds like it was great.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Re: Flying Experience

Eric, I would reccommend it!

Even with MC I was able to handle the controls easily. In fact if you can play a video game you can fly an aeroplane like the Cessna 150. Just don't attempt a barrel roll!

Type of Myotonia: Becker's Variant