Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trauma Induced MC Remission?

I have an observation that I would like to share.

As well as MC I have Spina Bifida which has resulted in me having a large number of surgical procedures; some of which have been major. My most recent was last June when my left foot was surgically rebuilt and fitted with an Ilizarov frame. Immediately following this procedure my MC seemed to go into remission.

This is not the first time that I’ve made this observation. It seems that whenever I have major surgery my myotonic symptoms reduce temporarily. Although I take Mexitil I was not able to for 48 hours before the surgery and probably for another 48 hours afterwards, but my movement was not particularly inhibited. The same is true for previous bouts of surgery when I was not on any medication for relief from MC.

My symptoms return as I recover, almost exponentially in fact. They don’t rush back but seem to slowly grow in strength. It’s been 8 months since my last surgery and I would say that my MC is as bad as it was just prior to going into hospital. I definitely need to take the Mexitil today but in hospital I probably would have forgotten if it had not been included on my daily drug issue.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Re: Trauma Induced MC Remission?

Pete,

It would be interesting to see what anesthetics were used during your surgery. Something like bupivacaine acts like the oral sodium channel blockers. In fact Mexitil is just an oral form of Lidocaine, one of the most commonly used anesthetic (also called Xylocaine which is often used for surgery so that the area will be more numb for a while after you wake up).

I have found that the effects of even smaller doses can last several days. In dentistry Lidocaine is usually combined with epinephrine so it cancels out the beneficial effect and may even make myotonia worse.

But aside from that, the trauma of surgery may cause your body to produce much more cortisol for a while, and that will reduce potassium levels and improve myotonia.

I haven't had a fever in ages, but when I was younger I can remember the stiffness disappearing whenever I was sick enough for my temperature to rise. As soon as I improved and the fever disappeard the myotonia came right back.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

That's very interesting Jan.

It seems that there is a scientific explanation for why I feel like the MC has reduced in severity then immediately after major surgery.

I had a triple disk fusion and my mc seemed to go away for about a month or so, I was in heaven. After my 2nd operation I had no such luck. Big price for relief.

Type of Myotonia: recessive, Beckers

Gary F Wingfield
Big price for relief.

Absolutely!

I think Jan's reply clarified this for me, which is a reassurance in itself as my doctor seems to just humour me with regards to my 'observations'!