Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: spicy foods

Unfortunately I can't say that I've noticed and I like spicy food too!

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

I don't eat onions or garlic - that kind of spicy makes me sick, but hot spicy definitely decreases stiffness. The compound capsaicin which is in cayenne and other hot peppers stimulates the chloride channel and improves myotonia.

I've been corresponding with a researcher in Italy about this and maybe they'll eventually develop a medication using capsaicin or related compounds, but in the meantime keep eating the spicy hot stuff. I carry around a little packet of red pepper flakes (the kind you put on pizza) to use if I get really stiff.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Hi Shaun

My 4 year old son has Beckers, we are currently experimenting with his diet, but when we try chillis, salsas and "hot" food, he simply refuses to eat it. When you say spicy foods, is there anything you have come across and can recommend that may be suitable for a young child such as mine.

Thanks
David

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

David,

Capsaicin is the chemical in most spicy foods that stimulates the chloride channel. It's not unusual for young children to refuse to eat spicy foods. Although vanilla is in the same family, I'm not sure if vanilla bean or pure vanilla flavoring would help.

Here's a really interesting article about the vanilloid family. Although I haven't really experimented with the others (vanilla, eugenol and zingerone) they should have the potential of binding the vanilloid receptors and helping with myotonia.

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/features/capsaicin.shtml

It's interesting that zingerone (from ginger) is mentioned as one of the flavorings commonly used in mustard. I ate mustard on EVERYTHING as a child! I even remember someone daring me to eat it on ice cream and I did!

Jan

Thanks for the quick reply Jan. We will try vanilla and ginger extracts and if let you know if it makes a difference. I am sure my son will be happier to try those!!

Best wishes
David

David,

You might want to take a look at this website...they make natural ginger candy and are located in South Africa:

http://www.caringcandies.co.za/

I don't know if ginger flavoring would have the same effect as straight ginger but it's definitely worth a try!

Jan

Hi Jan

Thanks for this recommended website. We have three children aged 4,3 and 2. Our eldest has MC and because of this have removed all candy from his diet.... and theirs' too.

The other two children have accepted this too albeit reluctantly, but to be able to let them all have "suger free" candy from time to time, from this website you suggested, will be a special treat.

I will let you know if the ginger candy make a positive difference.

David