Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Timber effect

More times than I like to remember .. actually I have probably been concussed many time without realising it when falling backwards.

Best was when I locked up playing table tennis, did the old Plank and my mate thought I'd had a heart attack... the look on his face made me smile even though I had scuffed myself and had a few bruises.

Havent done so for a while now as try to plan things very well but still realise even with best of planning it could still happen.

I can remember a few times when I've had that happen. It's really a very scary thing to have happen to you, and probably to whoever happens to witness it as well since they will most likely believe you to be dying in some fashion lol. Most of the time I am either able to stand there weeble-wobbling around until my muscles relax or I am able to at least get my hands out in the nick of time so my face doesn't smash into the ground.

Fun times for sure :D

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen

I don't seem to be able to position my arms or fingers right during the fall and if i am carrying something i can't get rid of it ...that's what has broken fingers and such.. i hurt my arm once when i fell backwards down some stairs but could not let go of the rail

Type of Myotonia: Thompsens

Robert:

I try to lean forward a bit when going up stairs. Especially when I can't hold on to something. That way if I do fall, I'll fall forward.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Hello Robert
When you fall, so lock your fingers stuck to something and they can not let go. stiff
Unit is all over the body, but with you it is worst in the fingers. I know part of it, the difference is just that I never got something that I can hold in. The stiffness disappears only after I came down and lie. Or as an alternative to a wall or something I can kick me out of.

You write that you are a driver, have you experienced problems running the Car??
I have a special car equipped with automatic transmission, steering wheel knob, brake by hand. The only thing I use the legs are giving gas.

Greetings
Kjeld

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen

I have also suffered from this many times but not, I am glad to say, lately.

Mostly I have only ever suffered embarressment as a result of falling over but on once occassion I did get a fractured skull that kept me in hospital for awhile.

I've also had my hands freeze and lock around something as I've fallen. This can be quite dangerous to as the tendons get seriously strained and there's even a chance of breaking some bones in the hand.

It is one of the worst experiences that I've ever had with MC.

Type of Myotonia: Becker's Variant