Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Celebrities with Myotonia Congenita

Hi All,

Does anyone have confirmed reliable resources that detail some celebrities with Myotonia Cengenita?
The only ones I've ever heard mentioned with a diagnoses online are:

Ricky Hatton: Ricky Hatton, two-time IBF and IBO light welterweight champion, has been diagnosed with Thompson's MC.

Art Hafey: Rated the #1 rated featherweight in the world in September 1976 after knocking out Mexico’s greatest prizefighter but he never got his shot at the title.

Does anyone else find it strange that if those boxers did have it, how they managed it so well - I'm skeptical!?

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita (Thomsons)

Re: Celebrities with Myotonia Congenita

Alan, I've never seen any other celebrities mentioned with myotonia congenita. It is rather odd that the two you can find were both boxers. But I can see how you could get in a wicked punch!

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

I've never heard of any celebrity that has MC, but I do find it interesting that you know of 2 boxers. I really like Ricky Hatton. He was a great boxer. He must not be as stiff as I am. I have been in a few fights and a couple of them didn't turn out to good for me. There would be no way I would be able to make it back to my feet before the 10 count.
But I was a bouncer at a bar for a while and would have to get in the middle of fights. I got knocked over a couple times but I learned I need to come up behind one of the fighters and put him in a bear hug and pull him out of there.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Eric, I think that's a great job for someone with MC! Once you get them in a hold they're probably not going to break loose.

That reminds me of my lifeguard training. One of our teachers was very strong and wiry and most of the kids couldn't keep her from breaking loose during the rescue simulations. When a person is drowning they often flail and hit at the person trying to save them, and in many cases both drown. So she wanted to make sure we could hold our own against that type of panic.

When it was my turn between the cold water and the stress my myotonia really kicked in and I had her around the chest so tight she could hardly move. I was the star pupil that day :-)

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Some people are pretty mild or stay warmed up pretty well so I could see how a boxer could have it.

A gymnast though, I'd be skeptical....maybe some dead ones?

I know some of Asmus Julius Thomsen's relatives were trapese artists but they may just not have inherited the CLCN1 mutation, or could have been so mild they never noticed it to any appreciable degree.

I get the impression there are people here with Thomsen MC who's parents didn't really seem to have any symptoms.

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

Playing guitar live is very difficult for me especially when i press my pedals with my foot. However, I recently found that working out on a regular basis helps alot with it. So i can sort of see how these guys can over come it.

Type of Myotonia: thomsen's