Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
hi jan

Hello Jan. Thank you for replying to me. I have read the school letter and think it is very good. it explains alot about MC that I didn't even know myself. When I first got told about what I had, the doctors said that there was no chance that my children could get it. In your letter, you said that your daughter and grand daughter had it. Do you have Becker or Thompson type? Also, I know it sounds very unlikely but for my 10th birthday my mum and dad gave me horse riding lessons. That was last year. Amazingly I am doing very well considering my MC and doctor Hughes (my doctor) says it is one of the best sports I can do. Have you ever ridden a horse or do you want to?
from Paige.

Type of Myotonia: becker

Re: hi jan

Paige,

I have Thomsen's, so it runs all through my family. And your doctor is right, your children would have almost no chance of having symptoms, although they could inherit a recessive gene and be a carrier. The only way your children could be affected is if their father happens to have a recessive gene for MC...not likely, but not impossible, especially if you marry someone you are distantly related to.

I was born horse crazy :-) I rode every chance I got and also took lessons at an English riding academy starting when I was about 10. I was always very stiff getting off and would usually fall over when I hit the ground, but seemed to do fine when I was riding. I used to do some crazy things like ride bareback with just a bridle and go jumping in the woods and meadows! I still love to ride but don't have my own horse.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: hi jan

Hello Paige.

I live in England too and I went through school in the 1970's when hardly anyone knew anything about MC. My symptoms are quite severe.

If your parents would like to ask me some questions get them to use my e-mail link on here, I would be happy to share my experiences and maybe give you some useful advice.

Good luck!

Type of Myotonia: Becker's