Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ibuprofen or acetazolimide for mc

Craig,

I think the main reason Ibuprofen helps with high altitude sickness is because it is anti-inflammatory and has a bit of a diuretic affect. In fact you can become deficient in potassium on higher doses of Ibuprofen and most people see an improvement in myotonia when they take medications that cause them to lose some potassium. I take a small dose every day but I always make sure I take something called DGL Ultra with it to protect my stomach. This is a form of licorice root which has had the compound removed that can cause high blood pressure. It works extremely well to prevent GI symptoms with NSAIDS including aspirin. You can get it at any health food store or online. The nice thing is that it's chewable chocolate lozenges and they taste great :-)

It's certainly worth a try, but don't exceed the recommended dosage without a doctor monitoring. Ibuprofen is quite different from the other NSAIDS on the market like naproxen (Aleve) or aspirin. It has even been shown to help regenerate the myelin sheath on damaged nerves.

Let us know if you try it and see any benefit.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: ibuprofen or acetazolimide for mc

Ibuprofen is my pain killer of choice, however I've never noticed it have any affect on the MC in terms of lessening the delayed relaxation.

Type of Myotonia: Becker