Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: medication in Australia??

Here are some of the medications used to treat myotonia congenita. The brand names are in parentheses:

Mexiletine (Mexitil)
Flecainide (Flecaine, Tambocor)
Lamotrigene (Lamictal)
Acetazolamide (Diamox)
Phenytoin (Dilantin)
Quinine Sulfate

I don't believe Mexitil is available in Australia. You would have to order it through a reputable online pharmacy like CanadaDrugs.com and pay cash. But it is by far the most effective.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

I have just commenced Mexetil(previously obtained & tried unsuccessfuly), the neuroligist I saw last week said she can get it through the Royal Brisbane Hospital. I can't get it at the chemist locally. I will soon find out for sure as my supply will run out in 1 mth commencing on low dose.

Type of Myotonia: Unknown

Jan (moderator)
Here are some of the medications used to treat myotonia congenita. The brand names are in parentheses:

Mexiletine (Mexitil)
Flecainide (Flecaine, Tambocor)
Lamotrigene (Lamictal)
Acetazolamide (Diamox)
Phenytoin (Dilantin)
Quinine Sulfate

I don't believe Mexitil is available in Australia. You would have to order it through a reputable online pharmacy like CanadaDrugs.com and pay cash. But it is by far the most effective.

Jan

We have tried ordering mexitil from Canada to Australia with no luck.So far we have paid out $500 and not recieved any of the medications.They seem to get lost in the mail.
But we will give the Royal Brisbane a call.If we can buy it locally, I can go back on my medication!

Type of Myotonia: Thomsons

Greg,

It really concerns me that you haven't received the medications. Did they refund your money?

I have ordered from them many times in the past and they always shipped out immediately. However on two occasions US customs retained the package in their offices and made no attempt to contact me. I had to call and deal with that separately - everything was done properly from the pharmacy's side, but customs was really cracking down on illegal drug shipments so they were holding up all kinds of packages and most peple just assued they were lost.

Please let me know what you find out.

Jan

PS- I just called Canada Drugs and talked to them about what to do if a shipment isn't received. They ask customers to allow 21 days for the shipment to arrive when it is shipped out of the country, and then you are encouraged to contact them so that they can either send out another shipment or reiumburse you. They were not aware of any current issues, so please let them know. I have always found them very easy to work with. They have an excellent rating with the Better Business Bureau in Canada. The only complaint I have seen about them is from a person who was upset because he had to provide a prescription!

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's